Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mail spam filter is useless

I am inundated with spam emails every day, sick and tired of it,  10 today from the same sender, I have tried using the spam filter which is useless as it just sends all the rubbish emails to my spam folder, I do not want a spam folder full of this junk.

Whatever happened to  the latest technology as it does not appear to feature in Virgin Media with regard to Spam emails, I am not the only one who has this problem judging by the message board.

Virgin Media need to sort this problem out, other companies manage to  stop Spam completely, enough said.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Mail spam filter is useless

Can you detail what is meant by I have tried using the spam filter…; if referring to the Mark as spam option then it is functioning as designed and in a similar way to other email clients.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

'other companies manage to stop Spam completely'

name one company that stops all spam. there isn't one.

scammers and spammers are clever in what they do. spam will never be stopped for you unless you simply closed all your email accounts.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fops98x,

All other email service providers have a spam folder to send your spam to. It's where you can then check to ensure nothing legitimate has been sent to it (even Google's makes mistakes). You don't have to look there if you don't wish to, it's just a safety backup. These spam emails are deleted automatically, usually after 30 days.

However, if you're getting a lot of spam in your inbox, try the following Multi-spam filter and add your own to it as needed (see instructions from the link). Takes about 5 minutes to set up, then no need to continually "send to spam" 10-20 times a day from your in-box.

Multi-spam Filter list instructions -

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-emails/m-p/4165620#M187357

My current filter list is as follows (just use this instead of the one in the link)...

@mail.com|bropuld.com|@viewdns|@razzball|@energysystem|@mthai.com|@zulu|@mightynetworks.com|@welshrugby.wales|@info.dealmates|@em.cowshed.com|@email.startribune.com|@moma.org|from@amazonaws.com|@openface.ca|@therdancer|from@telegram.org|onlineapplylearn|chatbot4u|cartimex|extremegb|@NextEmail.co.uk|@e1.llbean.com|@leveltimeshort|@individualdedicated|headlines@trib|latimes|CustomerService@Munchies|admin@turnoutpac|TUT.com|goodhousekeeping@|TermLifeAlert@|CryptoLibra|learning@ionbeamservices.co.uk|TestersKeepers|@trib|FlexibleDigitalSolutions|@uaonlineshop.com|microsoftstore@micserv|itcoin|from@privateserverspoint|@info.deal-mates|@tactical-timepieces

As mentioned ...add your own (consistent) parts of the senders scum-mail  addresses to the filter list as needed.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I do not want to have to keep  having to empty a spam folder more or less every time I access my email account. I have had another  annoying batch this morning.

Yes,VM does place the spam messages in  a spam folder but why are they getting through in the first place. I am now looking elsewhere for broadband, tv, phone etc., I have used other email sources in the past and never had this problem.

The address on these emails looks like an internet security company  which I once used but no longer do so having closed my account with them  more than a year ago. I  have contacted the company who tell me that the emails are not being sent by them.

How come other email sources other than VM manage to filter and stop annoying emails and stop them altogether rather than bunging them into a spam folder.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You don't have to empty the spam folder yourself, it's cleared automatically.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-spam-settings

Deleting SPAM from the SPAM folder

On the first of each month, any messages in the SPAM that are over 30 days old are automatically deleted.

If you manually delete messages from the SPAM folder they are moved to the Trash folder. Any messages in the Trash folder that are over 7 days old are automatically deleted. To immediately delete these messages, empty the Trash folder.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.