Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Verified settings for native mac mail client on OSX 10.15 (Catalina) with blueyonder.co.uk alias account

Could someone please share verified settings for:

• IMAP email
  • in the native mail client on Apple OSX 10.15 (Catalina)
  • for grandfathered blueyonder.co.uk email addresses that were aliases - ie not the master account

I realise that sounds like a lot of caveats, but having searched through the forum, it doesn’t seem like this is a particularly unique situation. What does however seem common is the amount of frustration and back-and-forth a large number of customers have to go through in trying to get this to work!

Whilst I realise VM are reluctant to support these old accounts – even for loyal customers who still use their services – if multiple people ask the same questions over and over again, it just ends up [a] wasting the time of support staff fielding these “basic” questions [b] frustrating customers. Would it not therefore be a LOT more effective to acknowledge such users exist and provide the necessary details so they can self-support... which incidentally is a lot cheaper 😉

Pointing users to the generic settings page (as seems to be the first response in every past post) is unhelpful as it does not provide the correct information to get this working.

Perhaps if someone who's got this working could share the verified settings to make this work, a moderator could add this as a sticky 😉 … and maybe do the same for iOS. 👍 👍

To give some context...

• I’m a longstanding VM customer (signed up in the days of Blueyonder).

• I’ve had email working through the native mail app on my Apple MacBook for several years - although getting it to work when I first got my Mac 2 years ago required lots of digging around in 3rd party forums to find the correct settings as, unsurprisingly, the info on the VM website didn’t work.

• Today I’ve upgraded from OSX 10.13 (High Sierra) to OSX 10.15 (Catalina) and my blueyonder.co.uk email no longer works in the mail app - OSX not iOS.

• The blueyonder email account is successfully configured and working on two iOS devices running the latest iOS v13
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Verified settings for native mac mail client on OSX 10.15 (Catalina) with blueyonder.co.uk alias acco

https://appletoolbox.com/mail-not-working-in-macos-catalina-how-to-fix/

See the section Unable to send or receive new mail after macOS Catalina Upgrade which may help.

I won't post any links to VM email server settings, verified or not. Your back is obviously up enough already.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Verified settings for native mac mail client on OSX 10.15 (Catalina) with blueyonder.co.uk alias acco

Having now got this working, I will post the settings and the process I've gone through to get this working for me.

As above: I want my blueyonder.co.uk email address to work in the native mail app on Apple OSX Catalina 10.15.x. My email address is an alias / secondary account.

I cannot guarantee this will work for anyone else, but though it'd be worth sharing in case it does.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

____

Firstly, how do I know my mail account is an old blueyonder alias account?

... I remember

... but also, if you login to the VM web portal with the usernames / email address in question it tells me.
Profile - secondary account.png

... and if I then navigate to the My Profile page, it shows that the registered Virgin Media mailbox for my services (at the bottom of the page) is different - it is the address which was used when the account was first setup.
Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 14.50.05.png

This cannot be changed and it's largely irrelevant right now, but as I've been having issues configuring an email client for an account which was an alias account, I though it worth mentioning here. Whether the configuration actually differs from a blueyonder address that was the "parent" address on the account I honestly don't know.

___

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

PART 1 - GETTING A CLEAN SLATE

I had my blueyonder email account working in the native mail account on my Mac running OSX 10.13. Things stopped working when I updated to 10.15 (Catalina).

As noted in the useful link shared by @Sololobo, it seems preferences can get corrupt / stuck when upgrading. Apple's servers are trying to store and sync your profiles across devices, and the VM mail servers are doing their thing too.

Therefore, the first step is to completely clear all remnants of the configuration so you're starting with a clean slate.

Prompt Apple ID Settings to update

When you upgrade OS versions on apple devices your iCloud account needs updating. This should happen automatically when you first load the new OS, but it doesn't always.

Complete the 3 trouble shooting solutions here.
    • First, try the standard approach (10 steps)
    • Sign out of iCloud (10 steps)
    • Clear corrupted Keychain files (7 steps)

Perhaps doing all 3 of these isn't strictly necessary, but it's better to be sure you clear any historic bugs which could cause issues later.

Clear old email profiles

If you've previously had the email account setup on the computer and it's no longer working - or you've been trying to configure it - let's completely remove it so we're starting afresh.

1. Open Mail

2. In the Menu bar click: Mail > Preferences

3. Select the account that's causing issues (blueyoner)

4. Click the '–'

5. The popup window will warn you about removing the account details from iCloud - this is exactly what you want to happen - click 'Internet Accounts'

6. In the 'Internet Accounts' panel, select the blueyonder account(s) and click the '–'

7. The pop-up warning gives you two options for removing the account settings: 
     • "Remove from All" - the account will stop working on any other iCloud linked devices (Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc).
     • "Turn Off Account" - will turn it off on this computer only. 

I suggest removing from all. It may sound like a pain to have to add your accounts again - but it's better to start with a clean slate. And if your account was working previously, it's likely something has become corrupt through the updates, so this is a no-brainer really. After all, adding an email account should only be a 2 minute job 😉

8. Wait 10 mins - you want to ensure your request to remove the account has been transmitted to the various apple servers.

9. Turn off the mac - a full shut down, not just closing the lid.  > Shut Down

10. If possible also turn off all other apple devices that are linked to the same iCloud profile

11. Wait 10 mins - probably not necessary, but... time to make a cuppa

12. Power on the mac again and wait a couple of minutes to make sure iCloud settings sync up

13. Open Keychain Access from: Utilities folder, launchpad, or search for it in Spotlight
Keychain-access-utility.jpg

14. Type in '@' without the quotes in the search box on your right
Search-for-Mail-accounts-in-icloud-keychain.jpg

15. If you see any references to the old configuration of the email account, right-click and Delete the password from your iCloud keychain. These should have been removed in steps 1-10, so this is just an additional precautionary step.

16. If you found items in Keychain which needed deleting, wait a few mins then do another full power cycle of the device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The VM (and any other) email servers have no idea, nor do they care, what email client may be being used for email access.

Providing that the email address is active, the password is verified and the correct server settings are being used then you will have access to your emails, whatever your chosen email client is.

The recommended VM settings can be found here:- https://www.virginmedia.com/help/email-settings-for-all-virgin-media-domains

It would be interesting to see the settings you actually used to get your email to work on the native email app on Catalina 10.15, but that information seems to missing from your subsequent post.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post them (redacting any personal information of course) to help others in a similar situation?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have tried to post the settings that worked for me but apparently the post needs moderating, although there seems to be no trace of it from my end since I submitted it. Perhaps it is in a queue. Perhaps it has disappeared???

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@round_and_round wrote:

I have tried to post the settings that worked for me but apparently the post needs moderating, although there seems to be no trace of it from my end since I submitted it. Perhaps it is in a queue. Perhaps it has disappeared???

@ModTeam, any idea what happened to the post?

Highlighted
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi round_and_round,

Are you referring to message 4 in this thread? The post is showing and the pictures you posted have also been approved and are now showing. 🙂

Any images you post do need to be approved by the moderation team; this is to ensure that the pictures adhere to our forums guidelines. Just so you know, whilst they are waiting to be approved the post should always show, however any images will appear as a yellow triangle.

Thanks
Lucy_B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@round_and_round wrote:

I have tried to post the settings that worked for me but apparently the post needs moderating,

I can see the post but I must still be missing something because I don't see any 'verified settings' for Blueyonder alias accounts and how they differ from the generic settings that Sololobo linked to earlier https://www.virginmedia.com/help/email-settings-for-all-virgin-media-domains .

Personally I cannot see how they can differ but I have a legacy Ntlworld email account and a 'normal' secondary address rather than a Blueyonder address with an alias or aliases,so I have no personal experience of the alias facility.

What I do know is that a Blueyonder alias email address does not have its own mailbox or password since the address is just what it says, an alias for the primary Blueyonder email address that it is associated with.

Presumably that is what the above email settings link is referring to when it says "This username format is now being replaced by the entire e-mail address for the primary alias on each of your mailboxes". However, perhaps I'm wrong - I'd like to know more for future reference. I am sure a VIP can tell us. 😉

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos