Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

VM email spam filters too enthusiastic

Over the last few weeks a surprising proportion of emails have been dumped into the Spam folder on webmail.  Some of these are newsletters.  Marking them as "not spam" seems to do nothing to future emails from the same person or organisation, and a suggestion I read to put them into my Contacts doesn't seem to be readily possible (unless I'm missing something).

Are there any other good ideas to try to make these messages appear directly in the Inbox, please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM email spam filters too enthusiastic

@John_Gray wrote:

Are there any other good ideas to try to make these messages appear directly in the Inbox, please?

Good idea… find an email service provider with security that is equal to or greater than the service it will be used with and with better spam handling. Should that not be possible then try the following however be aware that:

• messages flagged as spam will appear in your Inbox with the subject prefix of <SPAM>
  • some message will not be flagged with the prefix <SPAM> and will go directly to the Spam folder; no idea of the criteria for this decision but maybe these have a high confidence rating of being spam

Sign into webmail and make the following changes:

• select and then Settings
  • select ▸ Email, SPAM Settings and then Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox
  • select Filter Rules and then Add new rule
  • create a rule to match messages wrongly flagged as spam with a non-destructive action, for example Set colour flag, and unselect Process subsequent rules
  • create another rule to match messages with a Subject that contains the text <SPAM> with an action of File into Spam folder

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Your suggestions would be jolly fine, but unfortunately...

a) I have never seen any message bearing the Subject prefix <SPAM> !

b) I do not see "Email, SPAM Settings and then Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox" anywhere in Settings.  There is no entry or heading saying anything about Spam.

My emails are delivered to Outlook using POP3 - does that make any difference to what I see in the Webmail Settings?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

a)  That would show AFTER you change your settings.

b) The instructions are for Virgin Media webmail, sign in using a browser on a desktop device - some of the options don't show on mobile devices, I think.

https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@John_Gray wrote:

Your suggestions would be jolly fine, but unfortunately...

a) I have never seen any message bearing the Subject prefix <SPAM> !

b) I do not see "Email, SPAM Settings and then Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox" anywhere in Settings.  There is no entry or heading saying anything about Spam.

My emails are delivered to Outlook using POP3 - does that make any difference to what I see in the Webmail Settings?

Just to follow up on MissPasko's post, does this picture help at all?  Just click on 'Email', then 'Spam Settings' and then 'Flag message as spam...'

And, no the fact that you are managing your emails via Outlook makes no difference to your Webmail settings.

Coenoby

spam settings.png

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, both of you.

Here's what I see on my Windows 10 Pro version 1909 PC in Firefox 75 64-bit:

VM webmail settings.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your web browser is zoomed in a 190%, press Ctrl + 0 to restore default zoom level and then press Ctrl + Shift + R to reload webmail.

An alternative option to making changes in webmail is to use IMAP to access your email account in Outlook and then use its filtering features to move misidentified spam to the Inbox. Be aware that, unlike POP, IMAP changes to folders / messages are synchronised between email client(s) and server.

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Remarkable! I've never before seen a case where a non-default zoom level removes entries from a list in that manner!

Thanks....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@John_Gray wrote:

Over the last few weeks a surprising proportion of emails have been dumped into the Spam folder on webmail.  Some of these are newsletters.  Marking them as "not spam" seems to do nothing to future emails from the same person or organisation, and a suggestion I read to put them into my Contacts doesn't seem to be readily possible (unless I'm missing something).

As far as "newsletters" are concerned see here: 
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/How-to-mark-spam-that-s-recognised-as-newsletters/m-p/414...

There is also a thread about spam newsletters not being recognised as spam going back to March 2019:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-emails-recognised-as-newsletters/m-p/3954614#M171319

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Interesting that John_Gray is the first person, as far as i can recall, to raise the reverse issue to that covered in those two links, that is the spam filters catching too much.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks