Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM E-mail after not having a contract.

Hello all. 

Hope y'all are safe. I have a quick question, whose answer is not simply to get. 

I've got a Virgin Media e-mail address. If I allegedly cancel all contracts, can I still use it? 

I understood from the forum that I can't change/amend it, but will it still be operational?

It's important as changing e-mail addresses seems such a hassle. 

Thanks and regards. 

Alexander M

Thanks and regards,
Alexander
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VM E-mail after not having a contract.

Hello

Using a VM email address is dependent on having a VM broadband account, if you cancel your account then normally the email account(s) will be removed after 90 days.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, Mike. This is understandable. I was wondering if there are any expectations from this rule. Do Do you know of any? 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid there are no exceptions.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No, there are no exceptions to the rule.  That said the VM systems are sometimes slow to carry out the shut down process.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi both.

Thank you. This is now clear and your help is appreciated.
Take care, stay safe.

Alexander.
Thanks and regards,
Alexander
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi AlexanderMTTH

The other community members have given clear advice.  I would also like to add this:  Don't trust VM to protect your personal data.  Once you leave, whether within the 90 days or after that, the email can be hacked and your personal details used for fraud, your friends and family spammed.  (Well to be honest, plenty of people get hacked while still active customers, but at least they can regain control as paying customers!)

You can get started now choosing a new email provider, plenty of free ones, and some you can pay for.  They may have better security, better support and good spam filtering.

And I always counsel to backup important emails from the VM mailbox to your own secure location.  When you have got most things transferred to your new provider, you can set up an autoforward in webmail to help pick up anything you have missed.

Turn off all spam filtering so you don't have to log in again to retrieve mis-identified spam.  Don't use the holiday notice - that could alert spammers and scammers to your new address.  Delete all emails and contacts from webmail.  This reduces the data that could be lost if anyone hacks in.  When the 90 days are up run the address through https://mailtester.com and make sure it is removed from VM's server.  If still showing valid, come back here and ask them to delete it manually.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi MissPasko

Thanks for this. 🙂 Really good advice. And that mailtester website is great.
I used to check some of my old e-mails and was really pleased to see it working.

Will do and if needs intervention will come back with a post.

Meanwhile, thank you again and take care.

Thanks and regards,
Alexander
0 Kudos