Menu
VPoorEmail
Dialled in
Message 1 of 60
Flag for a moderator

VIRGIN MEDIA - AN IRRESPONSIBLE ORGANISATION - ALLOWS SPAM IN BUT NOT OUT

How long can Virgin Media ignore their email software being unable to protect people from spammers?

At least they could provide a decent, working, documented filtering system.  The current system is none of these.

And I've finally got round to attacking something which has puzzled me for years because I see that it has puzzled other people for years.

I did this:

-    I received spam / unwanted mail.

-    I set filters to catch it next time.

-    As a test, I sent the spam to myself

-    Virgin's email system blocks me from sending it because it recognises it as spam!!!!!

WHY DOES VIRGIN'S EMAIL SYSTEM RECOGNISE WHEN I TRY TO SEND SPAM BUT DOESN'T RECOGNISE WHEN I RECEIVE SPAM?

FOLLOW UP

I've tried to search the contents of the spam messages to determine where they hide the stuff that Virgin finds - stuff that allows Virgin to report this (on an outgoing!!! message, but not the incoming one!!!)

+++++++++++++++++++++++

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

*****My email address***** on 01/12/2020 23:35

552 5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) kFAVk3bdnUNiqkFAXkrnjb

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Can anyone point me to details of email message structures, and where Virgin might have found the "kFAV-----" string?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Re: VIRGIN MEDIA - AN IRRESPONSIBLE ORGANISATION - ALLOWS SPAM IN BUT NOT OUT

spam can't be stopped. its almost impossible
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Frequent updates to the matching data used by spam filters is likely to be responsible for this; between receipt and attempt to send the update has occurred to correctly identify the message. 

The unique string identifier kFAVk3bdnUNiqkFAXkrnjb correlates the event within (server) logs. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
VPoorEmail
Dialled in
Message 4 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Regarding Virgin changing their code -

Thanks for your reply, but this has happened to me, probably more than 20 times.
Some of these occurrences have been within minutes of receiving the mail which contains the offending string.
Your response also suggests that Virgin are interested in this plague on their customer base - which is not borne out by the facts.
Unfortunately, some people (like me) are effectively 'locked in' to their email addresses for commercial reasons, and so moving is a major task.
I think that Virgin realise this and, being without scruples, they judge that time and money spent providing a reasonable service is money wasted.
An irresponsible organisation.
Does anybody know how to see the metadata?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 60
Flag for a moderator

@VPoorEmail wrote:

Regarding Virgin changing their code -

Thanks for your reply, but this has happened to me, probably more than 20 times.
Some of these occurrences have been within minutes of receiving the mail which contains the offending string.

It is an automated process so it cannot be unexpected that once a meaningful number have been quantified as spam.

Unfortunately, some people (like me) are effectively 'locked in' to their email addresses for commercial reasons, and so moving is a major task.

I would encourage you to start on that “major task” and migrate your email needs over to a service that better meets your needs ― possible benefits of doing so:

• choice of ISP is not influenced by fear of losing email address(es)
  • security that is equal to or greater than the services it may help secure
  • better spam filtering

Does anybody know how to see the metadata?

Not sure what you mean, more detail may help.

0 Kudos
VPoorEmail
Dialled in
Message 6 of 60
Flag for a moderator

'Metadata' is all of the hidden controls carried within a file. It is vital for the interpretation of the data by the receiving software. Also for the technical routing and identification of emails.
A simple example is in photographs / pictures - where the date and time taken, camera focus and exposure etc are contained within the file - in a international standard format - but rarely seen except by keen photographers and publishers.  This is known as ' exif ' data. (Google it).
In an email I would expect it to include sending and receiving ip addresses, actual sender's name (as opposed to published user's name), and many other pieces of information. I would also expect that the code mentioned in my post - kFAVk3bdnUNiqkFAXkrnjb - would be found within the metadata, possibly along with other strings which could identify the message as spam.
Knowledge of the metadata structure might be very helpful in creating filters (and would normally be published by responsible companies).

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 60
Flag for a moderator

In webmail select the message and then > View source; similar option can be found in most email clients.

BTW as previous mentioned the unique identifier kFAVk3bdnUNiqkFAXkrnjb will not appear in the email's source text; it forms no part of the delivered message.

VPoorEmail
Dialled in
Message 8 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Re 'View Source' reply:

I struggle to understand your message.
If the string is a "unique identifier" how can it identify the message if it isn't contained within it?
And if it isn't contained within it, how can Virgin, or anybody else, use the field for the identification purpose of blocking my outgoing(!) message?

BTW thank you for the tip about "View Source", which I have now located on a random message.  I will pursue this line of info.

Incidentally, there appears to be a field which is very similar to the "unique identifier" which is clearly displayed in "View Source".

0 Kudos
VPoorEmail
Dialled in
Message 9 of 60
Flag for a moderator

I've run out of time to edit my Message 8, and I know that I'm being unrealistic, but it now only needs Virgin to provide access to the "View Source" information from the Email Filtering screen - with working software - and we might get somewhere.
I can always dream ...
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 60
Flag for a moderator

@VPoorEmail wrote:

Re 'View Source' reply:

I struggle to understand your message.
If the string is a "unique identifier" how can it identify the message if it isn't contained within it?
And if it isn't contained within it, how can Virgin, or anybody else, use the field for the identification purpose of blocking my outgoing(!) message?

As stated previously here the unique identifier correlates the “Spam Content Found” event within server logs, for example:

• Alice tries to send a message to Bob
  • Virgin Media block the send with a Spam Content Found warning
  • using the unique identifier contained within the warning, Alice queries the block with them
  • they correlate it to logged events and state cause is URL to acme.corp

I hope it is obvious that recording the unique identifier within the message's source text is neither needed nor desired and impossible where a message has yet to be accepted for delivery.

Incidentally, there appears to be a field which is very similar to the "unique identifier" which is clearly displayed in "View Source".

Unique identifiers are ill-suited to facilitate in the processing of spam.

0 Kudos