Menu
peterofware
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Using Thunderbird on this PC in Australia, I cannot send emails to more than 1 sometimes 2 recipients

The error message I get is below. It can't be too many in a period of time - I know there is a limit but VM wont admit what it is . It causing me a lot of hassle, I have to use webmail instead. An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 4.1.1 Too Many Recipients (VM501). Please check the message recipient "....." a

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using Thunderbird on this PC in Australia, I cannot send emails to more than 1 sometimes 2 recipients

I don't have an answer, but it has sparked a few memories.  Whenever we are on holiday, my husband likes to send emails to family letting them know what we are doing.  He is a great writer, and it is usually a group email to 3 or 4 recipients, and sometimes with a few photos attached.  He uses apple mail on his iPad after uploading his photos from the camera card.  And by the second day, they get stuck and he is frustrated and he accidentally deletes what he has written and gives up and we try again at the next hotel or wi-fi spot and sometimes it works and you don't really want to be hanging around waiting for the limits to reset - so all his wit is wasted.

So, yes, the limits are low and that is frustrating.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using Thunderbird on this PC in Australia, I cannot send emails to more than 1 sometimes 2 recipients

Webmail is always a better bet in these circumstances. The client sending limits are very low from countries known to be prone to being spamming sources. And it is a combination of the number of mails and the number of recipients that matters - each recipient (direct, cc and bcc) counts as one mail. If you must use an e-mail client then you must ensure that you are using the server settings here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

which require authentication. 

VM do not disclose the full details of their sending limits - that would simply aid spammers to circumvent them.

And actually using one of the world-wide free non-ISP e-mail providers is probably the best bet of all. They work. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

peterofware
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, it seems that there is no satisfactory war around this. By non-ISP you using Hotmail, gmail etc. I would but I chair the LEO Computers Society and I have a lot of emails to do with and many people use my email address.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As I said the sending limits on VM web mail are higher than using an e-mail client (because web mail is less prone to spam sending than an e-mail client). Same e-mail address, just a different platform and if T/bird is set up to use IMAP then your client and web mail will stay sync'd. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@peterofware wrote:
Thanks, it seems that there is no satisfactory war around this. By non-ISP you using Hotmail, gmail etc. I would but I chair the LEO Computers Society and I have a lot of emails to do with and many people use my email address.

Do you mean to say that members of a computer society would not be able to cope with someone changing email address?  That made me smile!  If you make it a gradual change, and use forwarding so you don't lose emails while you transition, they should cope.

I have also heard good things about Proton mail.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'