Menu
magneticman245
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Username or password not recognised for email account, unable to sign in.

Hi, I am currently unable to log in to my virgin media email account as of a few hours ago. When I type in my email address and password (neither of which have been changed recently) I get the error message: "We didn't recognise the username or password you entered. Please try again."

I have tried clicking on "forgot password", and when I type in my email address, security answer, and date of birth, it correctly recognises my account and prompts me for a new password. But when I type in a new password and hit enter, the page that comes up says:

Oops, something's broken

We're sorry this isn't the page you wanted.

This part of the site isn't working at the moment, but it'll be up and running again soon.

I am not sure what to do about this as I can not access my inbox and have important emails that I need to respond to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
magneticman245
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Username or password not recognised for email account, unable to sign in.

Just to add things that I have already tried:

I have attempted to log in through the Microsoft Outlook android app, as well as the Firefox browser on android, both to no avail. I have also attempted to log in through Firefox on Linux laptop, both before and after clearing all cookies and site data in the browser, and I have tried logging in through a new install of Chromium browser.

I am still able to access my emails through Thunderbird on Linux laptop so my account is still active, I just cannot log in on any other device or browser.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@magneticman245 wrote:

I am still able to access my emails through Thunderbird on Linux laptop so my account is still active,

Firstly, well done for your comprehensive description of what you have tried so far. However, the comment above raises one awkward question. 😟    Do you still have a Broadband account with Virgin Media?

The reason I ask is that VM email accounts are part of their Broadband package and if the Broadband account is closed VM can close any associated email accounts after 90days. The first sign that process is happening is that you lose access to your email account via the VM webmail service on their website but access seems to stay open for a while if you use an email client such as Thunderbird.

That would explain most of what you are saying except you do mention that you cannot access the email account via the Outlook app on android. However that could be a separate issue with the Outlook app.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
magneticman245
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply,

I do not personally have a VM broadband account and don't believe I ever have. I have had this email address since I was a child (I am now 20), as my parents set it up for me, presumably it would be tied to their broadband package? We still have VM broadband at home, nothing has changed there. I have made no changes to my account and my parents have made no changes to their broadband.

mailtester.com still shows the account as being active and valid, and when I try to reset my password it accepts all of my answers to security questions, and recognises my email account.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@magneticman245 wrote:

I do not personally have a VM broadband account and don't believe I ever have. I have had this email address since I was a child (I am now 20), as my parents set it up for me, presumably it would be tied to their broadband package? 

Thanks for the quick response.

I would suggest that you need to ask your parents to confirm that your email address is still linked to their Broadband account.

They can do that by signing into their 'My Virgin Media' account  (the one they use to access their online VM bills).

If they click on 'My Profile'  and then 'Manage Accounts' the list of live email addresses linked their account will be listed as below,

List of accounts.png

As its stands you are in an extremely difficult position. VM Customer Services cannot answer any question from you regarding 'your' email account because they would be breaking GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) rules. Legally it is your parent's data they are holding not yours.

I can understand that you want to regain access to the email account but I would say it is essential that you set up your own email account, possibly with a service such as Outlook.com or Gmail.

In the meantime ask your parents to confirm that email address is still on their VM Broadband account.

Just as a thought, do you know for certain that your parents have not switched broadband provider?

BTW as you can see from my signature line below I am just a customer of VM but I have responded to other posters on this forum who have been in similar circumstances to yours so I am familiar with the issues. 😐

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to the above excellent response, if your parents do still have the account they should be able to change the password for you via the page shown above.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

magneticman245
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the information.

I am 100% sure that my parents have not switched broadband provider, and I am going to ask them to check that my email address is still linked to their account. I have been meaning to get a new email address for some time anyway as my inbox is quite cluttered so I will use this as an excuse to switch to an outlook account.

Thanks again for your help, I will let you know if I require any more assistance.

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi magneticman245,

Thank you for coming back to us, please let us know once you have spoken to your parents.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@magneticman245 wrote:

I am still able to access my emails through Thunderbird on Linux laptop so my account is still active, I just cannot log in on any other device or browser.

I would strongly suggest you take the opportunity, while you still can, to backup all your important emails and contact lists, just in case!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.