Menu
Grandson1
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Username not valid, email access restricted

My grandmother was a Virgin customer and has a Virgin email address. We cannot access her account via her (or any other) laptop however she still has access via her tablet (Amazon Fire). She can receive emails there and reply to them, I have sent and received test emails from and to my Hotmail account.

She recently left Virgin for a new provider, which may have caused the issue, but we cannot access her account as it states her username (the email address in question) is not valid.

How can it not be valid when it is still active?

Why can it be accessed via the tablet but not any other device?

How can I regain access to the account for her as she's worried about missing bills etc (and gardening club offers but I think the bills are the important ones!)

Can she retain her Virgin email address if she is no longer a customer and if not why wasn't she informed of this when cancelling other services and how do we regain access temporarily in order to transfer contact lists/email folders etc?

Please help! She thinks I know how to fix everything but this one's got me stumped and she's missing emailing her friends while trapped in the house due to lockdown.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Username not valid, email access restricted

When a customer cancels their virgin media broadband account the associated email addresses remain active for up to 90 days.  During this period access via VM webmail may stop and then the email accounts can only be accessed via an email client, which is probably why your Grandmother can still use the account on her tablet.

You need to use the period left whilst the account can still be accessed via the tablet to inform her contacts of her new email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos