forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
InesNg
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Urgently need to transfer my email address via SCV

To whom it may concern,

I have a virgin.net email address account that has recently been compromised and I am unable to change the password on. Calls and chats with customer service have advised that it can be transferred over to the new server via SCV and I will be able to update my password and lock the hacker out that way.

On 04/04/20 I spoke to Scott about someone having hacked into my virgin.net email who is hacking into my other connected accounts and sending and posting inappropriate things, trying to sell things through my eBay, spamming my snapchat etc. From my understanding, the virgin.net emails were sold a few years ago. there is no current way that i can find on the website to change my password to remove this hacker from my account. Scott gave me the reference number P009883561, and told me the technical team would get back to me in seven days max (it’s now been ten days). in this time i’ve had many more hacks into my account and i’m desperate to be able to stop this from happening.

Scott said that there have been a few cases like this in the past and those people have either managed to get their passwords changed or their accounts shut down. I spoke to Tracy today from tech support and later Chloe on the messaging system who suggested posting here about a SCV transfer. I am trying to find out about progress on this case and stress the urgency of getting this solved as soon as possible. Thank you! 

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Urgently need to transfer my email address via SCV

There has been a great deal of rubbish said about the status of the virgin.net email accounts, often by VM's own customer service people, I don't need to go into all the gory details but suffice it to say that no, they haven't been sold!

So firstly, are you still a VM broadband customer and if so, is this virgin.net account the primary account or a secondary one?

I have no idea what a SCV transfer might be and the 'transferred over to the new server' makes no sense at all I suspect something's been lost in translation or it is referring to a move and transfer, where, say, if you move house and hence have a new VM account, the old emails which would normally be lost when the old account is deleted can be transferred across to the new account.

John

0 Kudos
InesNg
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi John!

I've been told so many things that I'm trying to wrap my head around!

I have a virgin media account but my dad set this email up for me when I was around 15 years old, so I think it is connected to his account, but I am the one using it. He set up his email primarily and has since lost connection to it, and then he set up emails for me and my sister as secondary ones. I believe that he and my sister have both lost access to their accounts, but i kept using mine and am therefore still able to get onto it.

He would love to regain access to his old emails if this is at all possible.

I'm 24 now and have since moved out and into my own property, but i do not think my current virgin media account for my new house has an email address associated with it.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

a move and transfer can only be between the same account holders.

You never owned your account you dad did. it would belong to him so you would need permission from him to move it (if even possible). its been said before they must be the same account holders.

If possible That would also transfer all email addresses from the account not just yours.

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK this all makes a bit more sense now, as @apcyberax says the move and transfer operation is only applicable when you need to move all of the email accounts (both primary and secondary) to a new VM account and officially the two account holders need to be the same person. So I don't think this is going to fly in your case unfortunately.

Is you Dad still a VM broadband subscriber (please say yes!) If so then if he gets in touch, possibly on this forum, and tries to get his main account password changed - I assume he (or you on his behalf) has already tried the forgotten password options and answer the security questions, then armed with that he can then reset the password on your secondary account and also your sister's as well. If everyone is in agreement then you could just carry on like that, but, of course, your email address still won't be yours, your Dad would be in control of it.

Unfortunately because your Dad is the account holder, VM will only deal with him on this matter.

Personally, I'd go down this route, gain control of the mailbox, copy out anything you wish to keep then set up a new Outlook or GMail etc. account for yourself, you can setup automatic forwarding from the old virgin.net mailbox to your new one and at some point ask your Dad to delete it.

Bit of a convoluted path, I agree but I can't see any other way of doing this.

Good luck!

John

0 Kudos