cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating the Password of an External Email Account

Paul-FRK
Joining in

I have a primary ntlworld.com email account,  now part of the Virgin Media email world, managed via the VM Account.

The VM Account additionally has three External Email Accounts associated with it, one of which (together with the primary account) is used on a daily basis. The accounts are accessed via the MS Outlook App on two PC's.

I have in the last week had to reset the passwords for the VM Account and and also the Primary Email account.

BUT I have not been able to find how to reset the password for any of the External Email Accounts set up via my Virgin Media account. ( facility exists to create new external accounts, delete the external accounts,  but NOT TO  update passwords).

Help   - how do I update the password of an External Email account?

Thanks  Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Paul-FRK  Reference to the accounts being external suggests that they are email addresses on domains outside of the VM family of email addresses.  In such cases you would need to use the facilities of the host domain to change the passwords.

If, however you are referring to secondary accounts set up under your primary VM email account then you should be able to change the password via the individual My VM account.  To do this you need to first sign out of the primary account then follow these instructions:

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

A further complication recently introduced is that you may be asked to change the username email address for the VM email address is a third party email before you can change the password.  This process only changes the log in details not the underlying email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Paul-FRK  Reference to the accounts being external suggests that they are email addresses on domains outside of the VM family of email addresses.  In such cases you would need to use the facilities of the host domain to change the passwords.

If, however you are referring to secondary accounts set up under your primary VM email account then you should be able to change the password via the individual My VM account.  To do this you need to first sign out of the primary account then follow these instructions:

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

A further complication recently introduced is that you may be asked to change the username email address for the VM email address is a third party email before you can change the password.  This process only changes the log in details not the underlying email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paul-FRK
Joining in

Hi Graham,

Thank you for your reply, as you suspected I should have been referring to a problem with a secondary email account.

I had not realised that the change to secondary accounts had been made by VM  (i.e. all Secondary Email Addresses now required their own VM Account.)

I followed your advice and via the VM Support service set up the VM Account for the secondary email address and assigned them a new password.

Access to the secondary email account now works via the web.  Changing Outlook password is still ongoing,( in process of creating the necessary new email address  (as per your last paragraph and various VM help pages.))

So a big thank you for your helpful advice.

Regards  Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your post. I'm really pleased to hear that Graham's advice has helped you out 😊

Do let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Beth