Menu
AndrewChPIL
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Updating password does not work

I have an account with VirginMedia that gives me a number of email accounts. Recently we suspected that one of those email accounts had been compromised. So I logged in to VirginMedia, went to my profile -> manage accounts. I changed the password on the account. I was informed that the password had been updated. However, it clearly has not been updated as I can tell by the following reasoning:

• Even before we had modified the account settings in Outlook, Outlook received an email from Virginmedia saying the account password had been changed. (That should not have been possible, as Outlook was still using the old password.)
  • Attempting to change the password in Outlook failed (because Outlook attempts to use the password, and if it fails it will not change the setting).
  • Attempts to log in to virginmedia emial with the account and the new password fail.

This is all very frustrating. Please does anyone know how to solve this? I have been very satisfied with VirginMedia over the years, but things like this tarnish their reputation and make me doubt their ability to maintain security.

0 Kudos
AndrewChPIL
Joining in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Updating password does not work

Here is what we get when we attempt to use the new password with the account:

AndrewChPIL_0-1598385636438.png

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It has become apparent over the last year or so that email clients do not recheck the password authentication with every send/receive request.  There is usually an option available to force an authentication check which should trigger a password refresh.  Restarting the device may also achieve the same effect.

Edit: Sorry, just seen where you say the new password isn't working for webmail either.  I will have a look at the image you have posted to if that sheds any light on the issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
AndrewChPIL
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Graham for taking the time to respond. I do not have access to the machine at the moment, but when I do I will try that. However, I very much doubt that is the problem, because I cannot even log in to the VirginMedia website with the account and the new password.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You say this is for a secondary account.  Can you still access My Virgin Media with your primary username and password?

If not then try the forgotten password route and follow the advice for what to do if you suspect your account has been hacked.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
AndrewChPIL
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Graham, I appreciate your responses. So, to clarify:

• I can access the primary account no problem.
  • I am trying to change the password on one of the addition email account the primary account gives me.
  • I have managed to successfully change the password on the primary account and all the other secondary accounts.
  • Just the one 'fails'. All initial appearances make it seem that it has worked:
    • The website says the account has been updated.
    • I get email (via the primary account) telling me that the account has been updated.
    • The secondary account in question gets an email informing them that I changed the account (which Outlook can access using the old password though!)

This is very frustrating -- since we suspect that the account may have been compromised we want to change the password as soon as possible, but clearly something is going wrong in VirginMedia preventing this.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Could it be that the hacker is also receiving the password change confirmation and then immediately changing it again?  Have you also changed the security answers for the secondary account (that said, not sure if this can be done from the primary account via Manage Accounts).

Is the secondary account important to you, otherwise you could take the nuclear option and delete it?

0 Kudos
AndrewChPIL
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

They would have to be extremely quick -- i.e. < 1 minute.

Could it be that changing the VM password actually takes a long time (e.g. several hours)?

0 Kudos
AndrewChPIL
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Things get even stranger... we cannot log in the  virginmedia website at all using any of the passwords for the secondary email account, but we can set up Outlook to work using a combination of passwords; to receive emails we use the original one (that we suspect may have been compromised) and for sending emails we use the new one that I set.

Something has gone very wrong within VirginMedia -- do they monitor these forums, if so please can someone from VM offer some assistance.

0 Kudos
AndrewChPIL
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

An update -- it looks like when it said that it had updated the password, what it meant was it was going to do it in the next few hours! Over three hours later the password has finally changed.

0 Kudos