Menu
petecoss47
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Update password for email account on iphone

Every since my iPhone 5SE upgraded to IOS14 a couple of days ago I've not been able to access my Virgin (NTLworld) account although I can get my Yahoo email OK. Is this a coincidence?

Although I could still access the account I couldn't sent or receive new emails but I could still see my account with all my folders. I've tried deleting my Virgin account and tried to reload and now cannot get anything.  I've tried the method outlined in the link in the above post, all to no avail.  Very frustrating!!!

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Update password for email account on iphone

Hey @petecoss47,

Are you still an active customer with us? If you're no longer an active customer, you mailbox will be closed 90 days after you have left Virgin Media, sometimes accounts aren't closed and remain open until this has been picked up by a member of our team.

If you are still with us, are you getting any error messages, when you try to open your mailbox?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@petecoss47 wrote:

Every since my iPhone 5SE upgraded to IOS14 a couple of days ago I've not been able to access my Virgin (NTLworld) account although I can get my Yahoo email OK. Is this a coincidence?

Although I could still access the account I couldn't sent or receive new emails but I could still see my account with all my folders. I've tried deleting my Virgin account and tried to reload and now cannot get anything.  I've tried the method outlined in the link in the above post, all to no avail.  Very frustrating!!!

Unfortunately there is no "above post" nor any link shown so it's impossible to tell what steps you've taken to resolve the problem. Can you provide any more information, such as what error messages, if any, you are getting and what you've already tried?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
petecoss47
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have an active account with Virgin which I normally access most days either on my laptop, desktop or till recently my iPhone.

I thought my post was going to be a continuation of a thread (which I can't find now) which had a link which I accessed to try to resolve my problem, the main feature of the link besides checking account details & passwords was to delete the Virgin/NTLWorld  account and reload.

The message I get in a box on my phone's screen is:-

"Cannot Get Mail"

The username or password for "imap.virginnedia.com" is incorrect.

I just repeated the exercise with same result.  Still very frustrating.  

0 Kudos
petecoss47
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Even though I've managed add the Virgin/NTLWorld account to my iPhone there is absolutely nothing there and when I ask to check for emails I get again in a box:- 

"Cannot Get Mail"

The username or password for "Ntlworld" is incorrect.

OK - Settings

Went to settings and my email address is correct and I put my current password in.  The check to update for emails results - No Mail - plus small message at bottom of screen - "Updated just now" - Account Error - Ntlworld

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@petecoss47 wrote:

Yes I have an active account with Virgin which I normally access most days either on my laptop, desktop or till recently my iPhone.

I thought my post was going to be a continuation of a thread (which I can't find now) which had a link which I accessed to try to resolve my problem, the main feature of the link besides checking account details & passwords was to delete the Virgin/NTLWorld  account and reload.

The message I get in a box on my phone's screen is:-

"Cannot Get Mail"

The username or password for "imap.virginnedia.com" is incorrect. Should be imap.virginmedia.com

I just repeated the exercise with same result.  Still very frustrating.  

The recommended email client settings are as below:-

POP Access (Incoming)

• Server Name: pop3.virginmedia.com
  • User Name: Your full email address
  • Connection Security: SSL/TLS
  • Authentication: Normal password
  • Port: 995

Or

IMAP Access (Incoming)

• Server Name: imap.virginmedia.com
  • Connection Security: SSL/TLS
  • Authentication method: Normal password
  • Port: 993

Outgoing Server (SMTP)

• Server Name: smtp.virginmedia.com
  • Connection security: SSL/TLS
  • Authentication method: Normal password
  • Port: 465

Check your client settings and retry.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update, have you been able to resolve this with the suggestions above? 

If not, can we please confirm if you can see the email address in question in the mailbox management section of your My Virgin Media account? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
petecoss47
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi, been unable to sit down to sort this continuing problem out on my phone as been pretty busy with other things and I can access my ntlworld emails Ok on my laptop.

Been through all the steps outlined in your thread, re-entered my normal password, the only other thing I changed was the port setting on both incoming & outgoing servers to the ones you stated.

It took ages to verify and to check for mail - No Mail

When I check the error message at the bottom of the screen I get a message in a box :-

Cannot get mail

The mail server

"imap.virginmedia,com" is not

responding. Verify that you have

entered the correct account info in

Mail settings

OK (which I pressed)

Nothing appeared - no mail came up.  Tried to compose and sent a test email to my Yahoo account :-

Message in box.

Cannot Send Mail

The username or password for my normal ntlworld email address is incorrect.

I've gone to settings as indicated at bottom of box to again check through all the details.

Still no mail and message at bottom of page Updated Just Now which changes by the minute to Updated 2 minutes ago, 3 minutes ago etc.  Just getting frustrated with this situation when it was all working fine a few weeks ago.

What next?

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Forgive me petecoss47

Just for my understanding.  On your iPhone can you still access and send/receive emails on your ntlworld email address via webmail?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
petecoss47
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

On my iPhone even though I have deleted my ntlworld account and reloaded it, it will not actually receive or sent any ntlworld emails. 

My Yahoo account on the same phone is working fine.  I can also access my ntlworld account fine on my laptop or desktop.

Does that help?

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos