cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to setup a VM email address since signup

wezhayes
Tuning in

Hi,

Please help me as to why i am unable to get the above working.

Since signup i have not been able to get my email account working/setup. I want to use the email system for myself and family.

I have already tried resetting my password and dumping my history. Nothing works.

Please assist

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

When did you join VM?

As of, I think,May of last year VM no longer provide an email service to new customers, nor do they allow existing customers to create a new email address.

What that says about VM’s long to medium term commitment to maintain any email provision whatsoever, I’ll leave to the reader to decide.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jem101
Superstar

When did you join VM?

As of, I think,May of last year VM no longer provide an email service to new customers, nor do they allow existing customers to create a new email address.

What that says about VM’s long to medium term commitment to maintain any email provision whatsoever, I’ll leave to the reader to decide.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@wezhayes wrote:

Hi,

Please help me as to why i am unable to get the above working.

Since signup i have not been able to get my email account working/setup. I want to use the email system for myself and family.

I have already tried resetting my password and dumping my history. Nothing works.

Please assist

@wezhayes  When did you sign up to Virgin Media broadband?  This is important as VM stopped offering a free email add on to their broadband product I May 2022.

If you joined after May 2022 you will need to use another email provider such as Gmail or MS Outlook, others are available.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jem, thank you for the extremely prompt response.

Thats a bit of a kick in the teeth but i guess i'll just have to lump it. Disappointed tbh as that is a basic staple of most ISP's but i guess i'll have to swallow it.

Thanks again. enjoy the remainder of your evening

Graham,

Thanks bud. You were pipped at the post but helpful all the same. Cheers !

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@wezhayes wrote:

Graham,

Worth noting that VM are not alone in pulling their email provision, BT recently did the same.

There is a benefit from having an email provision not connected to your ISP in that it is portable and will continue despite which ISP you are contracted to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Graham_A wrote:

@wezhayes wrote:

Graham,

Worth noting that VM are not alone in pulling their email provision, BT recently did the same.

There is a benefit from having an email provision not connected to your ISP in that it is portable and will continue despite which ISP you are contracted to.

And Graham does make an excellent point, a long time ago (well 15-20 years), most ISPs would see email as a valuable and important component, in the days when email was a new and confusing issue, the idea that ‘sign up with us and we can take care of it all’ was enticing. Now it’s entirely different, the ISP just provides the basic internet connectivity, what services you use on it are entirely up to you. And Graham’s point about having n independent email address is really good advice. Imagine that you were to use VM, (or BT, or Sky etc.) as your ISP and decide to use their ‘in house’ email provision - what happens to your email if, in say, five years time, you decide to leave and go to another supplier? Now some allow you to retain your email address for a monthly fee (Sky broadband and BT, I believe), others, VM among them, don’t, and will simply delete all of your emails and your email address after 90 days.

ISPs no longer see it as a vital component, it really is something that is better handled by other companies who have made it their business.