Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send virginmedia and ntl emails over home wifi

I can see similar problems have been posted, but I am still puzzled and unable to fix currently.

Over the past week or so, my wife and I have been unable to send emails from our ntl and virgin media email accounts over the home wifi, when using our iphones and ipads - we get an error message saying:

"Cannot send mail. The username or password for xx is incorrect."

But if I turn off the wifi on the iPhone, the message is sent. 

The iphone and ipad devices all receive emails ok over the wifi network. I can also send and receive emails - from the ntl/virgin media addresses - over wifi from my laptop.

I've tried all the usual, including reboot wifi and the cable box, Mcafee security scans.

I also had a look at spamhaus, and none of the 4 IP addresses for the 4 iphones/ipads are listed as blocked.

If anyone has any solutions, please let mw know!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unable to send virginmedia and ntl emails over home wifi

It is your home/public IP address of your hub that is blocked, not the internal IP address that each device behind the hub receives.  You can look it up by typing IP address into a google search bar.  Don't post it here, obviously!

You are being blocked from sending mails via email client as some malware on your system is sending spam.  You need to find it and eliminate it then the block will be lifted by spamhaus.

Now the hard work begins.  A lot of it has to be done by you or a trusted assistant in your home using your broadband, as your IP address is likely blocked due to spambots and malware.  Read this thread and come back if you need help - we will help, but need you to start it off and tell us more and where you are getting stuck or have queries.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

In the meantime, you should be able to send emails using VM webmail on an internet browser, which is allowed even though your IP is blocked for other purposes.  Or a mobile device using data (i.e. not connected to your IP address).

Good luck.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

IMHO Spamhaus' Blocklist Removal Center should really be doing a better job of flagging private address space entries as an error.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the info. It would appear the public IP address is indeed blocked in the SBL and the PBL. If I'm reading the info right, its the SBL that's causing the email issue.

The way forward looked a bit complex. So before I go down this route, I was wondering if their is a simpler way to isolate what device is infected, as I think I know what device is causing the issue. So if I simply don't use it anymore (its old and it was unprotected) and dispose (beyond repair) the device and ask for the spamhaus SBL blocklist to be removed, after say a week, would that work as an alternative?

I was also thinking that spamhaus should be able to tell me more about what the device is and timings of the spam to help - I can see from other virgin media customers posts, that they have, but am unsure how this information was obtained - did they perhaps give this information in response to the customers blocklist removal request?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What specifically does Spamhaus's Blocklist Lookup Results report; for exampe is it SBLCSS?

Your earlier post mentioned:

@ACP54WR wrote:

The iphone and ipad devices all receive emails ok over the wifi network. I can also send and receive emails - from the ntl/virgin media addresses - over wifi from my laptop.

Is that still the case that you can send messages via the laptop but not with other devices when connected to the Virgin Media network?

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Spamhaus says: 

XX is listed in the SBL in the following records:

SBLCSS

XX is listed in the PBL in the following records:

PBLxxxxxx

XX is not listed in the XBL.

Just tried iPhone - still get same error message when trying to send an email (receive is still ok). However I can still send and receive emails over wifi from my laptop.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@ACP54WR wrote:

Just tried iPhone - still get same error message when trying to send an email (receive is still ok). However I can still send and receive emails over wifi from my laptop.

To be clear - are you using webmail via browser on your laptop?  Or using an email client (which one)?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I believe its webmail, as I access email account via vm website

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Web mail is NOT affected by this issue. MissPasko was entirely right to get clarification on this. Only mail sent via e-mail programs is affected. All much clearer now.