cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails

Fi-jons
Joining in

For last last week or two I’ve been unable to send emails from my virgin.net address. At the same time my saved email addresses weren’t automatically appearing when compiling an email. 
I can receive them ok. 
On pressing send the message I get simply says ‘unable to send message’

Can someone please help. I’m pretty incompetent when it comes to tech 🫤. Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Fi-jons wrote:

I’ve been unable to send emails from my virgin.net address.
I can receive them ok. 
On pressing send the message I get simply says ‘unable to send message’

I have taken a look at your previous post back at the end of last year where you reported that you had lost access to your Virgin.net account. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-net-email-suspended .  There a number of things there that I don't really understand especially that a VM member of staff had told you they "would close down the old virgin.net account so that I could reopen the same address and assured me my inbox would still exist."   That seems a strange thing for them to say and do.

However, reading on to the last post in that thread it seems that @Ayisha_B was able to get that sorted out for you somehow and you were able to regain access to the account.

Moving on to your current problem sending emails: before burdening you with perhaps unnecessary technical detail it would be useful if you could clarify:

1. Whether you still have a live VM broadband account
  2. Whether you are using the VM webmail service on the VM website to manage your Virgin.net account or whether you are using an email app or client (such as Microsoft's Mail or Outlook apps or other third party software). If you are not sure whether you currently use the VM webmail service you could try entering your Virgin,net email address into this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ and then enter the password when prompted. That is the VM webmail service and I would expect you to be able to send your VM emails from there.
  3. You said in you post last year "I have (stupidly) not backed up" your Virgin.net emails and contacts. .Have you  have learnt your lesson and done backups since then?

If you post back with the answers to 1), 2) and 3) that will help forum members and staff to direct you to the best next steps to sort out the sending problem.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Fi-jons
Joining in

Could somebody please help.  For a week or two when I try and send an email it says ’unable to send message’

i don’t know why this has happened but I’m lost without my email. 
My tech knowledge is rather limited so any guidance must been written as though I am 4 yrs old! 🙏🏻
It may be coincidental but my email contacts weren’t showing either. I have However managed to change this in settings.
many thanks in advance. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Fi-jons 

Please see my reply to your original post.

Sadly, we need more information before giving any meaningful advice. I am not sure my original reply could be read by a 4 year old as you have now requested but I did try to make my questions as "non techie" as possible.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thank you. Seems I wasn’t accessing emails via virgin webmail but on trying that way my emails are now sending.
I was using outlook. 
Thanks so much for your help with this. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Fi-jons wrote:

Seems I wasn’t accessing emails via virgin webmail but on trying that way my emails are now sending.
I was using outlook. 

Thanks for coming back with that update.

It is good that you can now send emails from your account but you have not solved the underlying problem that you reported. That can be done so you can go back to using Outlook but it is likely to involve you following some quite complicated steps.

More worryingly though, you did not answer my question as to whether you now have a VM broadband account.

The reason I asked was that sadly your Virgin.net email address could disappear completely at any time if it is not associated with a current VM BB account.

I sincerely hope that situation was fully explained to you and resolved following your first post at the end of last year https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-net-email-suspended  However,  having read through all the posts in that thread I cannot be certain.

All I can say for sure is that if you no longer have a VM broadband account you cannot rely on your Virgin.net email account being around for much longer.  There are lots of other free email services available and you should move over to a new (non Virgin) email account as soon as you can. See here for some ideas  https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts 

Coenoby

Hi @Fi-jons,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear you've had some issues with your email service recently, but I'm glad to hear you've now got it back up and running.

Has the advice offered by @coenoby helped in terms of getting it working via Outlook too? It's also correct that the email address would be deleted permanently in due course if not connected to an active broadband service.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!