Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send emails

Have ongoing issue with outgoing mail. Use ntlworld account and therefore imap and smtp ntlworld settings with server ports 143 and 25 respectively. Error code is showing as 550 5.1.0 from address is invalid (VM402). Have tried updating to virginmedia settings then lose all in and outgoing functionality. Help welcomed!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send emails

That error message means the 'From' address in your email setup is different from the email address that you are using to authenticate the send.

I appreciate that you say you have tried to use the correct virginmedia settings without success.  However, they do work for all the legacy domains so I suggest you try again and change you settings to match those set out here: Email-settings-change

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Please try the Virginmedia servers again.
imap.virginmedia.com
Port 993
SSL yes/on
smtp.virginmedia.com
Port 465
SSL on/yes

If you’re using Windows 10 mail app then the settings are slightly different in that the port numbers are added to the end of the server details.
If you use the mail app please post back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I totally agree with the information provided by @Graham_A and @Anankha 

What email program are you using?

You do realise that when you use port 110 and 25 you are sending your username and password across the internet in plain text for anyone to intercept?  The IETF advised these settings MUST NOT be used in the mid 1990's 😞

As Graham has pointed out VM402 means your settings are not quite correct anyway.  It means the following two things.

1. The email address used for authentication is different to the From: address.
  2. The From: address, does not appear to be valid on Virgin Media's SMTP backend.

If I'm reading your OP correctly, you can still receive emails on this address via IMAP - correct?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. I have updated in accordance with suggestions offered. Still no access to outgoing mail and smtp password box continuously reappears now. This leads to the outgoing mail error stating it has rejected my login and asks to check email and password which haven’t changed and worked before!  Any more advice?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You could start by answering my questions.

I'll ask again.

What email program are you using?
Can you receive via the email address in the From: address?

And now a third one.

Has the error message changed?

If you are using Outlook or Thunderbird you might want to have a look at my post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

Remember we can't see your computer, we only have the information given by yourself.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Check that a stray space hasn’t been added to the password box (beginning or end).
Depending on the email client did you manually create the account or allow it to set up the account automatically?
Have you added the password to the outgoing server settings?
Which email client are you using? If Windows 10 mail app then the settings are slightly different:
imap.virginmedia.com:993:1
smtp.virginmedia.com:465:1
Entered as written in the server boxes.

0 Kudos