Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send emails via Thunderbird

For some reason, I am now unable to send emails via Thunderbird.

I have not changed any settings, this just happened a couple of weeks ago. I can receive OK.

Phoned VM help and all they did was go through my email settings. Told me nothing they could do as my settings were correct!

Anybody got any ideas? Not impressed with Virgin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send emails via Thunderbird

There are multiple reasons this can happen.  Please get the exact VM error code from your thunderbird email client following instructions here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

The VIP users in this community have a list of the error codes and then can diagnose what you should do - the code will look like VMxxx (x is a number).

Also can you tell us - are you a current VM broadband customer?  Are you able to send and receive if you sign into webmail?  Thanks!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm a current broadband customer and I can send via webmail.

I have followed the instruction and reading the log, I get  "Response: 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)"

Strangely enough, very occasionally I am still able to send an email.

Phil

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear VM305 is not good news.

It implies that you have a spambot somewhere on your network that is busily sending out spam.  There is a suggested route to finding the problem here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/m-p/408...

Common culprits noted on the site so far are amazon firesticks with additional apps added, smart tvs.  Also implicated are systems set up to use the Hola Free vpn, which is not a vpn but a method of sharing your network with others.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear, this all looks a bit too complicated for me. I'm not a computer programmer.

I shall probably just have to live with it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Please don't say that.  You mustn't just let your system send spam out to the world.  If you can't do it yourself, we will talk you through it.  We have had many others in the forum who thought they could not do it, but in the end they followed the steps and solved the problem.

You can get a friend or relation or a local expert to assist in your home as well.

Remember - the malware may be harvesting data from you as well as sending spam to all and sundry.

(p.s.  You started off this thread saying you were not impressed with Virgin - well I won't be impressed with you Colonel, if you retreat at the first sign of a fight!)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'