Menu
Puzzled1
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send emails on blueyonder

I have had a blueyonder email for almost twenty years. 

I can receive emails no problems on outlook and my samsung A70 phone.

However I am unable to send emails on my laptop on outlook.  I am also unable to send emails on my samsung A70 phone.  If I log on to virgin webmail then I can send emails.

I read some forums and I looked on SPAMHAUS.  It says that my IP is blacklisted.  I don't know how to fix this situation?

Can anyone offer any advice please?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send emails on blueyonder

Which Spamhause blacklist are you on?

If PBL then this is to be expected and isn't an issue.

If SBL then you are likely to have had an active spambot on your internal network in the last few days.

Read this post for a method to detect the spambot:. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Puzzled1
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Graham it seems very complex. The only devices that use my blueyonder email are my laptop and Samsung A70.

The article suggests the spambot could be on any device on my wi-fi. So could the spambot be on my smart TV ? Could the spambot be on a different phone on my wi-fi (for example my daughter's phone ?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Puzzled1
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone offer any advice please?

I have got wireshark running. It hasn't caught anything.

I am on spamhaus SBL blacklist so I am denied the ability to send blueyonder emails. 

Could the spambot be on a smart TV?

I don't have many devices using my wi-fi network. I only have laptop, 3 samsung phones and a smart TV. 

I am puzzled as to where the spambot could be.

Is virgin media able to offer any advice or assistance? I ring 150 but they don't understand what I am telling them. 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Puzzled1 wrote:

I have got wireshark running. It hasn't caught anything.

A SpamBot will often "got to sleep" for a while and stop sending out spam. In some case it will stop long enough to get your IP address off the SBL list and allow you to start sending emails again. However, it can come back at any time so the fact that you can start sending again does not mean the problem has been solved.

I only have laptop, 3 samsung phones and a smart TV. Could the spambot be on a smart TV?

From memory, the Forum has had reports of SpamBots present on:

Amazon Firestick with third party software installed
Mobile Phones with malware
Smart TV with third party software

Also, one major cause appears to be when someone is using the free version of the VPN "Hola". That seems to allow the malware to gain access to your network.

Returning the infected device to it's original factory default settings and taking care not to reinstall any additional, especially "free", software should removing the SpamBot.

.Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Puzzled1
Joining in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help.

My IP is currently blacklisted on spamhaus again it says I am listed in the CSS The last detection occurred at: September 22 2020, 05:15 (UTC timezone, +/- 1 minute).

I had wireshark running at this time on my laptop so the spam can't be coming from my laptop, therefore I assume it must be one of the android phones or the smart TV ????

I have already done a factory re-set of the smart TV.  There are no apps downloaded on the smart TV.

None of our phones have any apps downloaded from any source other than google playstore.  We don't have any firesticks or android boxes installed.

I would be grateful to receive any further advice ? ? ?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Puzzled1 wrote:

None of our phones have any apps downloaded from any source other than google playstore. 

I would be grateful to receive any further advice ? ? ?

I still would not rule out the smart phones.

Bear in mind also that the SpamBot may not be running 24x7 so you may need to have Wireshark running for several hours before it picks up any SpamBot traffic.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Puzzled1
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replying.  I have had wireshark running on my laptop for 24 hours per day since last week.  I have now eliminated my laptop as a source of the spam because wireshark was running at the time I got blacklisted.

My IP address is blacklisted in the CSS on SPAMHAUS.

Spamhaus advises to take each smart phone off the wi-fi and do a process of elimination to see which smart phone it could be?  Obviously I would have to wait again to get blacklisted.

Is that what you would do coenoby? Does anyone else have any suggestions to make?

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I'm assuming the laptop is a Windows 10 Laptop with a wifi adapter

If so then what you should do is read the second part of my post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

@coenoby - Just to correct you slightly.

Hola Free VPN doesn't put malware on your machine per se

Rather it makes your machine a part of the Luminati network, traffic can then use your machine as an exit node.  Luminati has been indicated in a DDOS attack against 8chan before now and I can definitely attest to the fact that spammers also use the Luminati network to send spam  I set it up and then looked for the traffic.

As for it's use as a VPN - the free version is instead a network proxy where your traffic ends up flowing via another exit node but is not even encrypted.  In short it's not even close to being secure. 😣

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Puzzled1
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you ravenstar for replying.  I am struggling now to follow what to do with regard to this wi-fi hotspot.  I have asked my daughter who is more computer savvy than me and we are both struggling to know how to do as you advise.  

Is there any organisation I can employ to come in and do this for me?  I am afraid that I will mess it up as I am not confident. 

0 Kudos