Menu
Drick
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send emails from phone over wifi.

As of a couple of days ago my wife and I are unable to send emails from our phones while connected to our home WiFi. They send if we change to mobile data and we can send them from our pc and laptop. We both have Samsung phones. Having tinkered with my settings I think the problem is that they can't connect to the outgoing server but I don't know how to fix it. Can you help.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send emails from phone over wifi.

Consider first checking that your IP Address is not being denied access to the SMTP server; Virgin Media references Spamhaus lists for this. To confirm if this is the case try the following:

1. browse to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&ia=answer and note the Your IP address is value
    2. go to https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
    3. enter the Your IP address is value (from step 1) in the IP Address field and select Lookup
    4. excluding the PBL, is it reported as listed elsewhere; do not post the results here without redacting your public IP address from text and underlying URLs?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Drick
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, 

thanks for your help with this.

I've searched Spamhaus for my IP address and it is listed in the PBL but you said to ignore that and it's also listed in the XBL.

is listed in the XBL, because it appears in:

• CBL Lookup

RESULTS OF LOOKUP

xx.xx.xxx.x is listed

This IP address was detected and listed 1 times in the past 28 days, and 0 times in the past 24 hours. The most recent detection was at Sun Nov 29 17:15:00 2020 UTC +/- 5 minutes

This IP is infected (or NATting for a computer that is infected) with an infection that is emitting spam.

IP Address xx.xx.xxx.x is impersonating (via SMTP HELO command) being a domain we know it _cannot_ be. No legitimate mail server does this under any circumstances.

You will need to check for and remove any malicious software infections.

0 Kudos
boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Drick,

Sorry to hear you're on the blocklist (as I was once too).

Have a read of ravenstar68's instructions here - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Be assured that anti-virus programs will not find any spambots (I confess, I tried ...and failed with that). The instructions are long, but thanks to ravenstar68, they did locate the offending device (mine was our Amazon Fire TV Stick).

Hopefully you have a windows laptop - or access to one? It makes the process easier.

Here's a link to the discussions I had about my issue (your affected WiFi enabled device(s) might be very different).

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Re-Message-Delivery-Failure/td-p/4089017

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Drick
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bit of a late update on this and a small confession. I got myself removed from the blacklist but didn't do as full a search for the guilty device as I should have done and sure enough I've been blocked again. This time Virgin have blocked me from sending emails from my PC as well. 

I would appreciate any more advice based on additional information I've received from Spamhaus, they've said the following

'There is a proxy installed in an app or on a device that is that is running an SMTP relay without your knowledge, and using your public facing IP to send spam DIRECTLY to the internet via port 25; it is making SMTP connections on port 25, with forged HELO values. This problem is most commonly seen on Android-based mobiles, streaming devices, smart doorbells, and sometimes also on Windows computers. Here is the recent history of your IP making connections on port 25, with signatures typical of a compromised Android (sometimes Windows) device'

And they've quoted the follwing most recent incidents (I've x out my IP address)

'(IP, UTC timestamp, forged HELO value)

xx.xx.xxx.x 2021-01-10 07:30:00 outlook.com

xx.xx.xxx.x 2021-01-01 01:00:00 xlraizpfofqpv.com

xx.xx.xxx.x 2020-11-29 17:10:00 outlook.com'

They've also confirmed the first detection was on 29/11/20

'The first detection was (UTC) 2020-11-29 17:10:00 The last detection was (UTC) 2021-01-10 07:30:00'

If I'm reading this right I've only ever had three incidences and they've been spaced about 10 days apart. This is going to make searching for the culprit device very difficult using the WireShark method.

Does anyone have any further advice?

If there any way I can get a notification when a incident occurs so I can check what devices are active at the time or somehow get a log of connected devices from the Virgin Hub that I can compare with these times from Spamhaus.

0 Kudos