Menu
Akrabat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send email to virginmedia.com email from outside

Hi,

I run the email server for my personal domain for which there are 5 users: myself, my wife & 2 kids and my mother.

My mother has a friend with a @VirginMedia.com email address and when she sends an email to them I get an email from the "Virgin Media FBL Service" with the subject line "Virgin Media Abuse Report".

The body is "This is a Virgin Media Abuse Report for an email message received from domain the-allens.net, IP [REMOVED] on Thu, 13 Aug 2020 13:15:53 +0000."

There's an attachment with further information which has this information in it:

Source: Virgin Media
Abuse-Type: complaint

I'm confident that my personal email domain with 5 users that I am personally related to on it hasn't been used for abuse, so I'm unclear what this means. 

Who do I contact to find out how sort this out as it's a problem that my 72 year old mother cannot send emails to her friends?

Thanks.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send email to virginmedia.com email from outside

@Akrabat wrote:

I'm confident that my personal email domain with 5 users that I am personally related to on it hasn't been used for abuse, so I'm unclear what this means. 

Well, all I can say is that I entered your domain name here: https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx 

and that came up with that it is blacklisted by at least one organisation:

Blaclist.png

Note that I have obscured the IP address for your security on this open forum. For more information take a look here:

Fabelsources.png

I hasten to add that I do not know whether this is linked to the 'Virgin Media Abuse Report' message you received but it does suggest that there are some issues with your domain and that it has been reported as a source of spam.

These blacklists do tend to be quite dynamic so you may soon be removed from the list anyway if there is no more spam being sent from your network.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Akrabat
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @coenoby! That's really interesting as I checked SpamHaus and some others and it was fine. I've just gone to: https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx and it shows clean for me!

Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 17.12.59.jpg

I see that I get a different list of blacklists from MXToolbox, so I'll have to investigate further, but it's it bit hard when others see problems that I don't!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Akrabat wrote:

I see that I get a different list of blacklists from MXToolbox, so I'll have to investigate further, but it's it bit hard when others see problems that I don't!

I agree!

I just tried again and got  the same result as earlier. 

I can send you a private message with the IP address if you like.

Regarding a different list of blacklists, I have just checked "virginmedia.com" and that came up clear but interestingly Fabelsources was missing from the list.

Coenoby

By  the way

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Akrabat
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To follow up, I've worked out the IP address and have requested delisting. The notes on MX Toolbox for fabelsource indicated that a large netblock including my IP might have been included in this list, so hopefully delisting shouldn't be too hard.
coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Akrabat wrote:
 so hopefully delisting shouldn't be too hard.

That's right. Delisting is usually fairly easy.

However, the problem comes if it gets listed again because you will need to go further to identify why it is getting listed and take any necessary actions to prevent it happening again.

The other issue is that we do not know for certain if this is the cause of the issue you are having with VM. The Forum Team (VM employees) may well be able to get this passed to the VM security team to confirm. Keep an eye here for one of the team (or a forum community member with more expertise than me) to contact you on this.

I hope you get it sorted out first time.

Coenoby

jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Akrabat it's certainly possible, although I think unlikely, that inclusion on a single blacklist would have resulted in the abuse report emails you are getting, but since you have provided your domain name - incidentally it's a bit pointless masking out IP addresses related to this since just knowing the domain name gives me all the addresses I would need to know - I could run a few checks against the domain settings and mail configurations.

If I were you, I'd run the domain name through the free checking tools on tools.dnsstuff.com, the first one, the DNS reports is the one to look at, and also the various domain checks on mxtoolbox - and work your way down seeing if you can't rectify the various errors - one of the listed MX servers doesn't seem to want to respond to inbound SMTP, one of the others is reporting as being an open relay and if this is the outgoing mailserver, it's missing the right reverse DNS records. There are also some issues with the SMTP headers and banner greetings on this server as well which will only make recipient systems even more suspicious of mail coming from it.

The SFF record is fine, you are sending out mail shots through mailchimp and mailer-light and their details are included, you have designated the MX record addresses as authorised senders (bearing in mind the issues above) plus four other explicit IP addresses and I don't know what they are for. 

If I had to hazard a guess right now, I'd say you were sending mail out through the address ending 219, and it's been reported as an open relay and spam source.

Akrabat
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

While I don't mind the IP address being hidden, it's not personal or private given that it's published in my DNS record. It has to be otherwise no-one could send me email 🙂

0 Kudos