Menu
tapioca
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Unable to send email to virgin subscribers

We have several subscribers in UK @ntlworld.com @virgin.net @blueyonder.co.uk that were not able to receive their newsletters.  They are being rejected.  The error are shown, for example:

<xxxxxx@ntlworld.com >: host mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.56.11]
    refused to talk to me: 421 EHLO MXIN201 Your HELO/EHLO foreign-trade.com is
    not matching your DNS configuration mail.ezekiel-ion.com
    ;id=NhvTk35RjUcoT;sid=NhvTk35RjUcoT;mta=mx7.tb;d=20200930;t=213807[CET];ipsrc=96.125.179.148;

It is not matching because Ezekiel-ion is using the foreign-trade.com server.  There can only be one server name.  Obviously, we can't change the server name.  How can we send emails to the subscribers on the Virgin network in this case?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to send email to virgin subscribers

Hello

Have a look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-Media-SPF-Authentication/td-p/2921597

Alsoo in this post https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/3157192/highlight/true#M12965... there is a good section on the SPF.

This is a security feature and can be disabled but that is on a customer to customer basis, you will need to correct the SPF.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 - This is nothing to do with SPF

@tapioca - Your EHLO is wrong.  Reading what's happening here your server is sending out a EHLO line of:-

EHLO foreign-trade.com

when sending out mail.  foreign-trade.com is what we call a bare domain.  A good email server responds with it's FQDN (fully qualified domain name) and the FQDN reverse DNS for the server should also be set to it's FQDN

You appear to have fallen into the trap of assuming that the EHLO used by the server should match the sender domain.  It doesn't

Take Virgin Media's outbound smtp servers

They send mail for the following domains:

blueyonder.co.uk
ntlworld.com
virginmedia.com
virgin.net

Yet you won't find any of their domains in the servers hostname.  Here's a genuine example:

>dig +short -x 80.0.253.68
know-smtprelay-omc-4.server.virginmedia.net.

What you would see if you look at inbound traffic hitting your server is that the server on 80.0.253.68 will ALWAYS greet your mail exchanger with that FQDN

EHLO know-smtprelay-omc-4.server.virginmedia.net.

Likewise your mailserver should ALWAYS be greeting mail exchangers with it's FQDN

EHLO mail.ezekiel-ion.com

regardless of the senders email domain.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

tapioca
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This is what my tech support replied:

Plesk/postfix cannot set two different EHLO for two domains, only one. Ask the recipient to whitelist your domain and allow email.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@tapioca 

I'm not asking that the server identify itself using a different domain.

I have three domains:

ravenstar68.co.uk
timothydutton.co.uk
timothydutton.uk

The same server manages all 3 and only uses one EHLO line

Lets compare servers

EHLO                                                                          foreign-trade.com                                box.timothydutton.co.uk
Mail server IP                                                                  96.125.179.148                                  77.68.89.100
Forward DNS (based on EHLO identity)                         104.18.47.103                                    77.68.89.100
                                                                                        172.67.200.201 
                                                                                        104.18.46.103

Reverse DNS of Mail server IP                                   mail.ezekiel-ion.com.                           box.timothydutton.co.uk   

Point 1 - A mail server should greet a mail exchanger with it's Fully Qualified Domain Name - at the bare minimum this should be host.domain.name
Point 2 - The FQDN does not have to match the domain it's sending for.
Point 3- The FQDN in the EHLO line should resolve to the mail servers IP
Point 4 - A reverse DNS for the mail servers IP should resolve back to the FQDN of the server

Based on the OP your server failed the main criteria a mail server should fulfil.  That makes it look spammy.

Server identified itself with it's bare domain
IP's listed in the DNS lookup for bare domain did not match server IP
Reverse DNS failed to match the identity given in the EHLO

To be fair - a quick test of the server on port 25 today appears to indicate that the banner may have changed to mail.foreign-trade.com

If I message you my email address would you be willing to drop me a mail so I can have a look at the new setup?

Tim

0 Kudos
tapioca
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

That would be great.  Send me your email and we will send you the same newsletter that we sent out.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@tapioca 

I got your mail, now lets have a look at where it hits my server:

Received: from mail.foreign-trade.com (mail.ezekiel-ion.com [96.125.179.148])
	(using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits))
	(No client certificate requested)
	by box.timothydutton.co.uk (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 87203802FE
	for <myaddress@ravenstar68.co.uk>; Fri,  9 Oct 2020 23:24:18 +0100 (BST)

Using the same criteria as above.

Server EHLO                                        mail.foreign-trade.com (better than before, we now have a FQDN))
IP address of server -                           96.125.179.148 - Same as before
IP address based on EHLO identity     96.125.178.48 - BAD - does not match server IP
reverse IP lookup on server IP             mail.ezekiel-ion.com. - BAD as does not match EHLO identity.

So the server EHLO for this server SHOULD be mail.ezekiel-ion.com

OR

You need to fix the DNS lookup for mail.foreign-trade.com to point to the server IP and THEN change the reverse IP lookup for the server to point to mail.foreign-trade.com

The first solution is the easiest.

Tim                    

0 Kudos
tapioca
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The EHLO according to the support, cannot be changed. See reply:

They say to set SMTP banner (HELLO/EHLO) to mail.ezekiel-ion.com however this change may impact foreign-trade/other domains emails from the server. As I already told you, SMTP banner cannot be more then one - please see https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011454140-Is-it-possible-to-have-different-SMTP-banne...

I don't have ANY issue with any other mail service providers including Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo.  Only EU users using Virgin's host mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net have this issue.  So it is an issue solely with Virgin.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi tapioca,

Thank you for coming back to us, we haven't heard anything back yet, I will speak to the team again and see if I can find anything out.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
tapioca
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi, is there any update on this?  As it has been over a month already.  How can we get the Virginmedia technical team to fix this issue? 

We have zero issues with any other email providers.  But all our subscribers with email addresses at @ntlworld.com @virgin.net @blueyonder.co.uk  are being rejected.  They have big issues receiving our newsletters and emails.  This needs to be fixed ASAP.  Thank you.

0 Kudos