Menu
StefKorn
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Unable to reset the primary account password

Hi,

this is really awkward. My wife has the primary account and I have a secondary account, and I am also paying the bill which is in my name. We forgot the primary account password,also the security question. The password recovery procedure does not work an the bill details are not being recognized for my wife’s account, I guess because her name is not on the bill. Is there any other way, maybe the secondary account can reset the password of the primary account? I don’t know what else to do. Any helpful suggestions? Thanks for reading my first post.

0 Kudos
StefKorn
Tuning in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to reset the primary account password

I should add that the secondary email account is working fine and I can change the password with the last bill option.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@StefKorn wrote:
the secondary email account is working fine and I can change the password with the last bill option.

On the face of it that is really odd because the bill applies to your Broadband account and so covers both email accounts. If those details worked for the secondary account they should work for the primary.

In your first post you said "The password recovery procedure does not work an the bill details are not being recognized for my wife’s account, I guess because her name is not on the bill.By that I assume you mean that it is because the email address is in the format

"Your wifes name@virginmedia.com"

That would not be the reason the details were not accepted. The system just checks you have entered the correct email address and bill details. The email address does not have to be your name.

I would suggest trying to reset the primary address again.

You also asked "Is there any other way, .......... reset the password of the primary account?" Well, you can wait here and the Forum Team (VM employees) can arrange that for you. Keep an eye out for them to reply via this thread.

Finally, just to confirm there is no way the secondary address can reset the primary address.

Hope that all makes sense.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
StefKorn
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Coenoby, I will try again.

0 Kudos
StefKorn
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The problem might be the date of the bill. I can only use what is on my bank statement, and this might be a few days out. Only thr primary account holder can access the online bill, I as a secondary account holder can’t. I just tried the reset again but still no joy.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@StefKorn wrote:

Only thr primary account holder can access the online bill, I as a secondary account holder can’t. I just tried the reset again but still no joy.

Obviously there must be more to this than I can read from your posts.

The Virgin Media Primary account holder is the individual named on the Broadband contract with Virgin Media. (That may not necessarily be the individual who pays the bill.)  Whether that person uses the primary or secondary email account attached to that Broadband account is nether here nor there.

However, to slightly confuse matters, the credentials for the Primary email account are used to access the Broadband ("My Virgin Media") account to view the payment details.

As far as I am aware, if the two email accounts are attached to the same VM Broadband contract, the bill details, such as amounts and dates, will be the same for both email accounts because the bill relates to the Broadband account not an individual email account.

I think you need to wait for the Forum Team to contact you via this Forum and check this out for you.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

"As far as I am aware, if the two email accounts are attached to the same VM Broadband contract, the bill details, such as amounts and dates, will be the same for both email accounts because the bill relates to the Broadband account not an individual email account.

I think you need to wait for the Forum Team to contact you via this Forum and check this out for you."

@coenoby  As far as I understand it your are correct that the bill relates to broadband account, however these details can only be accessed via the Primary user details.  I don't  think a secondary account should be able to reset the password using the billing details.  I may be wrong on this and will welcome correction or confirmation from the @ModTeam in due course.

The primary username should be able to change passwords on all accounts connected to the broadband account.

If anyone is unsure of the primary username it can be checked via this page as long as the necessary security information is known.

virgin-media-reset-username-and-password 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Super solver
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Graham_A 

Thank you for that Graham.

However, regarding whether the secondary account password can be reset using the billing details, The OP did say in post 2 "I should add that the secondary email account is working fine and I can change the password with the last bill option". However if that was the case why cannot the OP reset the Primary account password by using the same details? That makes me wonder whether the 2 email accounts are actually on the same Broadband account.

It is very curious and perhaps all is not quite as it seems. 🤔

Coenoby

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Absolutely, I had picked up on that point in the earlier post.  Hence my request to the staff for clarification.

I don't really want to test it out on one of my secondary accounts at this time on a Saturday night.

Hope the op gets support from the VM team as soon as they reach this, which should be soon after 11.30am tomorrow, but may be later given the weekend.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi StefKorn, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the service, I understand that this is to do with the online account and password issues. I will send you a private message to look in to this and get this resolved for you. Chris.