Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Unable to receive emails on iphone 11

Hi,

I have an iphone 11, which has the latest software updates, and I have ntlworld & virginmedia email addresses.

The standard apple email app does not allow me to send emails. I deleted the accounts from the phone, changed email passwords & installed an Outlook app on the phone, and the Outlook app works.

I reloaded the accounts on the apple mail app, and it can receive emails, but not send. It says there is a problem with username or password, I have checked the smtp settings, imap settings, server ports etc. I am able to access webmail from the phone. 

I have tried over different wifi networks, and I keep getting the problem.

I have an iphone 8, and this can send & receive emails no problem using the standard apple app.

My phones are updated with the latest apple updates, they are not jail broken, I am at a loss to understand the issue.

I did contact Virgin, but they said if I can access webmail, and another email client on the phone works, then the problem must be with apple.

I did also do a Spamhaus check of the work IP address for when I am connected to work wifi and this is all good.

Any help would be appreciated, I am not the most technical when it comes to phones & IT, so I will not be offended if any help is explained in the most basic detail...

Thanks very much 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to receive emails on iphone 11

Most people find this thread helps (the problem is the apple software recalls things it shouldn't, which is the outgoing server):

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D...

Let us know how you get on.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the very fast reply, weirdly an email I tried to send that got rejected by the phone is now showing as sent, and when I checked with the intended recipient they had received the email.

Just to make sure this was not a lucky break, I tried the instructions on the thread you suggested, and then tried to send an email again, I got the same error concerning username / password, and the email was showing as in my outbox unsent.

After 5 mins, the email I sent appeared on my work computer, so it looked like it had worked finally, yet when checking my phone, the email still shows up in my outbox, and not in my sent mail box

After another few minutes, the email has moved from outbox to sent mail on my phone.

Really not sure what is going on now, but I expected the latest iphone to be working much quicker than this...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@Lycraman wrote:

I reloaded the accounts on the apple mail app, and it can receive emails, but not send. It says there is a problem with username or password, I have checked the smtp settings, imap settings, server ports etc. I am able to access webmail from the phone. 

Thanks very much 

Can you verify that you are using the recommended settings for all the email addresses:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so imap & smtp were set as imap.ntlworld.com & smtp.ntlworld.com, but the port, authentication, username were all correct as per the thread.

I have changed the imap & smtp settings now, and it did not want to verify, so when I saved the settings it said that emails may not send or receive properly.

I have sent a test email, and I got a very quick response indicating username or password may be incorrect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Further update:

I have sent an email out using the Outlook app on the phone, and this took some time to get the confirmation beep from the phone, but this sent ok, and when I checked the Apple email app, this shows in the sent mail folder on this app.

The test email I sent 20 mins ok, sat in my outbox on the Apple app for some time, and has now been sent, so something is holding up sending emails using the Apple email app.

Is this an Apple issue you think or a Virgin media one?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

You should try the virginmedia servers so you can send when away from your home network.
imap.virginmedia.com SSL yes Port 993
smtp.virginmedia.com SSL yes Port 465

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

The settings on the phone are:

imap.virginmedia.com SSL yes Port 993
smtp.virginmedia.com SSL yes Port 465

I turned the phone off for a long period of time, then tested it again after turning back on - and the email problem seems to be fixed - why and for how long I have no idea

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lycraman,

So happy to hear that the problem has now been resolved. 

Let us know of any changes,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Update on the condition of both iphone 8 & 11 - both are not able to send emails using the built in Apple mail app without getting an instant error message advising there is a problem with username /password, which leads me to suspect this may be an ISP issue???

Settings on both phones are imap.virginmedia.com, smtp.virginmedia.com, SSL on, Password on, incoming port 993, outgoing port 465

Sending an email using the Apple mail with the above settings results in an instant error message advising there is a problem with username /password. Rather than click settings, I click OK, and the mail just sits in my outbox.

Sending an email using the Outlook mail client, results in a noticeable delay before I hear a confirmation beep that the mail has sent.

Wait several minutes, and the mails sent via either method eventually get sent - (I am sending to my work email address test messages).

I have not tried disconnecting from wifi & turning the phone off and then back on again to clear any caches

So am not sure if I am being overly fussy / paranoid or if there is a serious issue here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks

0 Kudos