Menu
Scfro
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unable to connect to server when sending emails from abroad

Hi, This is my first post and apologies if the question has been asked but after searching the community and trying different things

Screenshot_20200818_093152_com.android.email-01.jpeg

I've not managed to sort the problem. 

I'm using the email app on an Android phone and, now that I'm abroad I can't send any emails from any ntlworld account. I can use web mail but this isn't convenient as I need to keep copies of my emails in one place. 

I have checked the SMTP Settings are correct (which they are according to the Forum) but get the error message "Unable to connect to server". This happens with both my ntlworld email addresses.

I've screenshot my settings and error message. 

Please help! 

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to connect to server when sending emails from abroad

Hi Scfro, thanks for getting in touch - sorry for the delay getting back to you. 

I'm also sorry to hear you've been having some problems with your email client. 

Can you try removing/re-adding the email account from the client and see if that helps? Failing that please check the settings are correct for your client based on the information here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients and keep us posted with how you get on. 

Tom 

0 Kudos
Scfro
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for responding. The problem existed with multiple ntlworld email accounts across all devices (Android phone, iPhone and PC).

Having said that today, after 3 weeks of not working it appears to be OK. I am reluctant to say solved as I've not changed anything my side but perhaps there's been changes at virgin media.

Fingers crossed the problem doesn't return. 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scfro,

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear the issue seems to have resolved itself. But of course you're more than welcome to pop back if you happen to run into any further issues or if you need anything else, and we'll be more than happy to help further.

Kindest regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Scfro
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And the problem is back again. Same as before.... Multiple devices, multiple clients. This is so frustrating! 

0 Kudos
kevcharben
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Same here cannot send messages

Ntlowrld account using Microsoft Outlook

kevcharben_0-1599050904373.png

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello
Thank for joining in on the forum, we will try the best to get your issue resolved.

First I would suggest to following to find the error that you are getting on your email client :- Look here to get the error logs:- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237..., if you do have an VM305 error then more than likely the spambot was asleep as spamhaus will automatically remove after 2 days of no spam activity, if error then follow :- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

You can check your listing yourself but there is no point requesting removal until you have found and deleted the spambot. https://www.spamhaus.org/query and type in your external IP you can gets this my typing "whats my ip" into google.

If you are running Hola VPN Free, then note But Hola Free VPN is anything but a VPN.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
kevcharben
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have got the log on notepad

how od I show you it?

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update, how are things looking today?

Are things OK through web-mail? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos