Menu
Patcuk01
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unable to access emails AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN

I am continually having to reset my Blueyonder password as email stops working on my IOS devices. The last few days I get thrown out despite being on a contract with VM and yes I have paid for my services. I am now unable to even access emails via via the web and am getting the message below. To say that VM is frustrating me would be an understatement. I spoke with customer services last week and got nowhere in consideration of finding out why this keeps happening. I also run a VPN with ongoing virus scanning so don’t perceive any security risk. How do I resolve this to get my email working without any further problems?

SORRY, Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.

If the problem continues, please call our team for help on 150 from a Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select option 2. For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to access emails AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN

Hi Patcuk01,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your email on your apple device, are you having the same issue on other devices, as this been since you did a software update on the device?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Patcuk01
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It’s been sorted now. My eBay account was hacked and despite numerous password changes and 2 factor authentication on eBay, coding was put in place during the original hack to forward all eBay emails to the hacker. This forwarding rule was not showing on my email account when I checked on several occasions so must have been behind the main views. VM advised me last week that they had spotted it and disabled it and since then with what seems like my 50th password reset, all is working. It is worrying though that a forwarding rule can be actioned without it showing on my account

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Patcuk01,

Thank you for coming back to me and for the update, I am glad this has now been resolved, I am sorry for any inconvenience caused, any forwarding set up only shows when you go into the setting itself.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Patcuk01
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I did access the forwarding via the settings icon on the web email and nothing was there.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am not sure why this was the case, I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused by this., 

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Patcuk01
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My concern is that a hacker can code my email to send anything with eBay in header or body to them and that rule doesn’t show in VM webmail. How many other people could this be an issue for and do VM report these individuals to Action Fraud?

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Patcuk01,

There are lots of scam out there and people will try to hack emails ETC  for criminal reasons, please continue to report any such issues to Action fraud , we are aware of this and are always working hard to make sure security always took seriously.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Patcuk01 wrote:

My concern is that a hacker can code my email to send anything with eBay in header or body to them and that rule doesn’t show in VM webmail. How many other people could this be an issue for and do VM report these individuals to Action Fraud?

If there were no filter rules set in your Webmail account my first thought would be that having got access to your eBay account the hacker changed the contact email address in your eBay account to another email address that they have access to. That way all your eBay emails would go to that new address without going near your VM account.

eBay send a notification email to your current email address  when you update it to a new address but if the hacker also had access to your email account I would think they could easily sign in to Webmail and delete that email as soon as it arrived.

Have you checked that your eBay contact details (postal and email) are now correct?

My personal advice would be not to use VM email in conjunction with any online account that has financial implications. It seems that the very low level of security on VM email accounts (for example passwords a maximum of 10 letters/numbers with no special characters) provides little defence against hackers and scammers. Outlook.com and Gmail are far more secure but there are many others around.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Patcuk01
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

eBay was secured immediately and the hackers code only forwarded eBay emails from the breach date. All passwords secured and nothing is linked to VM as I agree that the 10 character with no special characters is very weak and they should get that sorted immediately to increase security 

0 Kudos