Menu
ih8modem
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unable to access email box via web - Forbidden

When I try to access one of my sub-accounts (my wife/the boss!) it simply comes up with a webpage showing Forbidden as a header and forbidden as the body.

We have tried multiple browsers, multiple machines, cleared caches, even installed a brand new browser from scratch.  Nothing doing.  All other sub-accounts (secondary I think is the term used by VM) are working fine.

This is an email account held for 15 years.

On Saturday we did get an email telling us there might be suspicious activity on the account due to it being forwarded to another email address - that was correct and not suspicious, but VM have chosen to remove the forwarding.

Accessing the email account using Microsoft Outlook on a PC or mobile works fine.  We would like to re-instate the forwarding and cannot currently do this.403Forbidden.JPG

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to access email box via web - Forbidden

Hi ih8modem, thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear you've encountered this problem. I'd like to see what we can do to help, so please reply to my PM requesting a few details and we'll take it from there.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me with those details they were great. I've attempted to resolve this now I'm hoping that's been successful - when you get around to trying can you please let me know? If not I may need to raise it with our IT team for further investigation. 

Tom

0 Kudos
ih8modem
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom, I have tried to access webmail again.  I have tried from the email link at the top of the virginmedia.com homepage,  as well as by first opening 'my apps' then using 'check email' on the email icon.  Both result in the same forbidden message.

I have cleared my cache, my history, my cookies - all to no avail.

The same webpage with heading and body showing "Forbidden" appears - only for this account :  [REMOVED]

thank you for looking into this.

Steven

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting me know Steven, unfortunately I've had to raise this with our IT team to look into - as soon as I have an update I'll get back to you. Apologies for the delay. 

Tom

0 Kudos
ih8modem
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thank you Tom for keeping me updated.  Just to add to the below I have configured a barnd new raspberry pi and using the Chromium browser I am finding the exact same message.  I have done this just to prove that this is not somehow cookie / cache related on our machines.

Best regards

Steven Gibbons

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi ih8modem,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you have been unable to access your email account ,so I can help with this, I will send you an invite into a private chat, I will send this shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi ih8modem, I've had an update from our IT team regarding this. They advised that the Forbidden error is related to the mailbox unavailable error and all that should need to be done at this stage is following is using the Forgotten password option when signing in to the email account and following the prompts. They said this should allow you to access the email account once again.

If that doesn't help please let me know so we can take this further.

Thanks,

Tom 

0 Kudos
ih8modem
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tom,  I have tried to do this but have run into a new problem.  When I follow the link it asks for your username, that's easy enough.  Then you have to supply the memorable word answer and date of birth.  Memorable word is easy enough,  can change it as well.  The problem appears to be the birthdate - when I enter my wife's birthdate it does not accept it (I have changed the memorable question and the new question is being shown so I know that part is good).  I have also tried my own birth date, does not accept.

I cannot see any option to validate or change the date of birth at all.

I have used my account to force the password change on her account as it's a secondary to mine,  to no avail, still getting forbidden.

Any suggestions on the birthdate issue ?

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update, sorry about the ongoing complications! I'd like to double check the info at our end is correct first of all so will follow up with a PM to do that and we'll take it from there.

Tom 

0 Kudos