cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access additional email account

Cazbro
On our wavelength

Hi Forum

First time poster.  Husband trying to access his VM email account on a new laptop.  He has an additional account as I am the primary VM account holder.  He couldn’t remember his password but the forgotten password procedure on his account wouldn’t let him set a new one.  So I tried on my primary account but I don’t have that option. In the past I used to be able to set a password on the additional account but now I can only delete the additional account which we absolutely don’t want to do.

Can anyone help?  This is important because it’s my husband’s only email account and he’s used it for over 20 years.

(My husband subsequently remembered the correct password but again none of the above procedures worked so still can’t access.)

Many thanks,

Caz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cazbro wrote:

Can anyone help?  This is important because it’s my husband’s only email account and he’s used it for over 20 years.

(My husband subsequently remembered the correct password but again none of the above procedures worked so still can’t access.)

Welcome to the forum.

Virgin Media stopped issuing new email accounts last year and also made some changes to the system. One of those was that secondary (additional) email accounts now all have their own "My Virgin Media" account and can use that to reset their own passwords. As you have discovered, primary account holders can no longer reset passwords on secondary accounts.

Now he has remembered the password, your husband could try resetting it via the new route:

Sign in from here  https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  with the email address and current password of that secondary email account.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then navigate to the "Account details" page by clicking on the "Account settings" tab and then you'll see the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password.  While you are there, you should set a "Password recovery question" which is just below the password reset option. The fact there is no recovery question set at the moment is almost certainly why the "Forgotten password" route is failing.

If that does not work, you will need to get the password reset by VM. You could try calling customer services on 150, (take the "report a fault" option and select technical issues> email    -  don't bother getting a text if that is offered). Or, it is probably simply to wait until one of the Forum Team contacts you via this thread. They can get it reset for you.

Try that new reset process first though.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cazbro wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

Virgin Media stopped issuing new email accounts last year and also made some changes to the system. One of those was that secondary (additional) email accounts now all have their own "My Virgin Media" account and can use that to reset their own passwords. As you have discovered, primary account holders can no longer reset passwords on secondary accounts.

Now he has remembered the password, your husband could try resetting it via the new route:

Sign in from here  https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  with the email address and current password of that secondary email account.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then navigate to the "Account details" page by clicking on the "Account settings" tab and then you'll see the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password.  While you are there, you should set a "Password recovery question" which is just below the password reset option. The fact there is no recovery question set at the moment is almost certainly why the "Forgotten password" route is failing.

If that does not work, you will need to get the password reset by VM. You could try calling customer services on 150, (take the "report a fault" option and select technical issues> email    -  don't bother getting a text if that is offered). Or, it is probably simply to wait until one of the Forum Team contacts you via this thread. They can get it reset for you.

Try that new reset process first though.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cazbro
On our wavelength

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Have tried the first option, that failed.  Then the second, to reset the password.  It said there is a problem relating to the password please try a different one.  So we tried various other new ones and they failed too.

Would appreciate some help from VM.

Best,

Caz

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Cazbro, thanks for reaching out on our help forums and sorry to hear of the issues faced with this email account.

We'd love to assist, can you please confirm what part of the process is failing when trying to change your password for the secondary email and if you're getting an error message or code when this happens?

Have you been able to access this email account here (using the existing password your husband knows of) and find the option to change it's password from there as coenoby above suggested?

Let us know and we're happy to help out.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Cazbro
On our wavelength

Hi Adri

Thanks.  It’s fine now.  Have changed password following the usual procedure.  Did you have a system issue yesterday that was stopping people changing password?

Seems okay today.

We tried repeatedly yesterday with all sorts of new password but the system said there was a problem with the password, whatever we put in.

Caz

Thanks for the update Cazbro and glad to hear this has now been resolved. We aren't aware of any known issues so may just have been a bug that has now been resolved.

If you need us again in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Rob