Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Unable To Log On To Virgin Media To Access Email

Apologies if this has been posted before.

I am trying to access online email because I have a problem sending email to a hotmail account and an answer suggests changing password.

Unfortunately, I am struggling to even log in to Virgin Media.

I put in my email and what I thought was my password - both are then ticked - but when I press submit it says the password is incorrect and then I am sent round in circles.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable To Log On To Virgin Media To Access Email

Sorry to hear that you're having issues logging into your account, I would like to take a further look into this via a private message so that we can clear account security. 

I will pop over a private message for you now, please respond to this and I can look into this for you.

Regards

Steven_L 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The green ticks just indicate the format is correct.  You can check your username and if necessary reset the password here:. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-username-and-password

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It appears the moderator above has just given up without resolving the issue.

I did explain to him that I am not a tech whizz who can sort this kind of thing out myself.

Apparently, I don't have an account.

I have only ever managed my emails through outlook express and then the windows 10 mailbox. Occasionally, I would log in to my older emails through the virgin site. I can no longer do this. I don't know why. I didn't end anything as far as I know.

I have been asked to register for a new account using my account and area reference. I started the process but was unsure when it asked about creating an email account as I don't want to change my email address which ends virgin.net. I asked about this but didn't get a reply.

Initially, all I wanted to do was correct a problem in sending an email to a hotmail account and it has turned into something of a nightmare. I asked for a callback but was told that wasn't possible.

Is there anyone else who could offer any help?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to make a wild guess about what is happening here, because there is very little information to go on. When using this Forum please remember that we know nothing about you, or your set up or what you are trying to do or what you see. We are totally reliant on what you tell us.

But there is one clue that I am going to take a chance on. I bet a penny to a £ that you are NOT a current VM broadband customer and that you have been using VM's e-mail service through a virgin.net address which you had either through the very old dial up service or when VM offered a service over phone lines.

If I am right the answer is simple. VM have shut off your address and you are not going to get it back. VM mail is only for VM broadband customers.

If I am wrong you'll have to tell us a bit more about what is going on.  We don't expect everyone to be a tech expert. But we do expect that they can at least give us a reasonable account of what is happening. You'd be surprised how quickly we sort issues when we get that.

And please remember that help on this Forum largely comes from other VM customers like me. You have had an intervention from a member of VM's team here but you tell us nothing about what was said and what was done. We aren't mind readers. We don't even know if you replied to him.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Do you have a current Virgin Media Broadband account?

If not see here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Closure-of-former-customer-email-accounts/td-p/4092021 and here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

(Apologies for cross posting with HowardML who provided a far more informative reply.)

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I am not sure if I can provide that much more but I will try. I have explained what I was asked to do and how that process stopped. I replied to every response.

I pay a monthly bill for tv, broadband and telephone. Does that make me a broadband customer?

I have explained how I use emails but I will do so again. I receive and send emails through the windows 10 mailbox on my computer. I just tried a search and it came up with a prompt to search online so those old emails must be stored somewhere. I have never had any other email address other than the one ending virgin.net. As far as I know everything was working fine until I tried to send an email to a hotmail account the other day and that's what prompted this issue. I don't understand if my old emails are held online and if so why I can't access them (it would be useful to find old addresses) but the most pressing issue is sending the hotmail email.

Thanks

I am not trying to make this complicated.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

What you have said so far all points to the virgin.net email address that you use not being connected to your current VM broadband account.  

Does this tie in with what @Steven_L told you in your private message exchange?  I think the Forum Team need to get back involved with this one.  It doesn't look as if Steven is on shift at the moment so perhaps the @ModTeam could get another staff member to pick it up. 

It may be possible to get the virgin.net address linked to your current account - only the staff will be able to advise definitively on this. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@IanS wrote:
I am not sure if I can provide that much more but I will try. I have explained what I was asked to do and how that process stopped. I replied to every response.

Look I don't want to make a meal of this but you were as clear as a muddy pond. But I think we can see a way forward now. You are not going to like it though

I pay a monthly bill for tv, broadband and telephone. Does that make me a broadband customer?

Yes it does make you a current broadband customer.  But what i think is happening is that your virgin.net address is NOT linked to the account. Which means that VM cannot identify it as belonging to a current VM broadband account and so they have shut it down. It may have worked normally up to now. But that doesn't imply that it is working now or will work in the future.

I have explained how I use emails but I will do so again. I receive and send emails through the windows 10 mailbox on my computer.

Fine. We understand that.  If you use this app mail is stored in two places. It is stored within the mail app in Windows 10 in one of the mail folders and in the usual course of events and provided you haven't deleted the mail from your Windows 10 mail app the mail remains on VMs computers to be accessed in VM web mail. You would normally check that by going to mail2.virginmedia.com and signing in with your mail address and password. Looks like that is the sticking point. Am I right?

I just tried a search and it came up with a prompt to search online so those old emails must be stored somewhere.

And I have now told you where

I have never had any other email address other than the one ending virgin.net. As far as I know everything was working fine until I tried to send an email to a hotmail account the other day and that's what prompted this issue. I don't understand if my old emails are held online and if so why I can't access them (it would be useful to find old addresses) but the most pressing issue is sending the hotmail email.

So now tell us what the issue is with this Hotmail address. What is happening when you try to send it. Describe exactly. What are you seeing. What error messages. 

Thanks

I am not trying to make this complicated.

And nor are we, but using e-mail and understanding a bit about how it works is necessary to help us troubleshoot when things apparently go wrong. 

My money is firmly on the fact that your virgin.net address is an orphaned account because it is not and has never been linked to your current VM account for broadband and the rest.  Sololobo referred you to information you need to understand orphan accounts. Read that please.

What can we do next? Well depending on your answer to the questions about this Hotmail issue we shall see. But I am beginning to think that the VM Forum Team here need to take a look at this virgin.net address and tell us all what its status is on the VM system.  But I'm not going to get them involved again until I see your next reply.  BTW I'm off for the rest of the afternoon so I won't be able to look at this again today. I do this in my free time as another VM user, just like you. That is what a community forum is all about.

Edit - I see Graham_A got in before me so the question of the status of this virgin.net address has now been asked. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You are absolutely correct. I would have logged in my emails via my virgin.net address and as far as I can remember the only password that I have ever had.

The error lines from the email were:-

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

Reason: This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-2-imp.

The remote server returned the below error when attempting delivery:

550:550 5.5.0 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable.

[VE1EUR01FT038.eop-EUR01.prod.protection.outlook.com]

Needless to say I haven't a clue what the above means.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to try and help.
0 Kudos