Menu
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: URGENT: No access to virgin.net email since 1st January 2019. Virginmedia provide my broadband.

There are a couple of things, which I'm sure Virgin Media will raise when they get in touch, which may have an impact on your virgin.net email service.

I assume you were a Virgin Media ADSL customer and your service was transferred to Talk Talk when Virgin stopped ADSL provision?

When this happened your Virgin email address was not transferred to Talk Talk. Virgin allowed access to your old email address for only 1 year, after which time access should have ceased. Talk Talk would have provided you with a new email address through their own service.

A 2/3 year break from Virgin Media is certainly sufficient for them to have deleted your old virgin.net account, in accordance with their Terms and Conditions. As you have only been denied access since January this may still be possible, only Virgin Media can tell.

When you rejoined Virgin Media a "move and transfer" of your old virgin.net address would have to have been requested, to link your virgin.net address to your new account. This is something you should request, as a matter of urgency, as access to orphan accounts is only provided for 90 days.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

Good luck with getting your virgin.net email access restored, but be aware that any email addresses created under your new Virgin Media account will be lost.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: URGENT: No access to virgin.net email since 1st January 2019. Virginmedia provide my broadband.

I'm going to make some further comments and then try to start to put an end to all this uncertainty. This exchange has become protracted but the issue can't be solved here at this stage.

I very much hope that AC77 understands that this Forum is not a means for quick and direct communication with VM. It is a community forum, bringing users together to solve issues. This means that the first responders are likely to be VM users (like everyone who has responded so far). There is a small VM staff attached to the Forum who will intervene in cases like this where the solution not within our power. This is almost certainly one of those cases. But they do work in strict date order of posts in the normal course of events.

The date on which VM mail became unavailable and the fact that this virgin.net account was once associated with a VM ADSL service makes it very likely that the address is NOT properly associated with a current VM broadband account in the way that Sololobo has described. VM started to switch these non-associated accounts off at the start of the year because they could not identify that they related to a customer with a current broadband account. In general there is nothing wrong with that because non-VM broadband customers should not be free-riding on this service as they have been allowed to do in the past by VM's failure to terminate their access when they should have done.

As Graham_A said at the beginning of this exchange only the VM Forum Team can sort this because AC77 is a current VM broadband customer and the situation is different.  To avoid further exchanges I am going to indulge in one of the privileges afforded to Superusers here and queue jump AC77 so that the issue gets looked at more quickly. @ModTeam @Jen_A   The Forum Team will respond in this thread and ask for more details of the address and accounts involved via the personal message system.  So stand-by!

AC77 should be able to gain temporary access to all his mail and folders, but not his contact list,  if he uses an e-mail client like Thunderbird or Outlook to connect to VM's mail servers. E-mail client access is not yet terminated, while web mail is for these so-called orphaned accounts.

Advice on how to do this is in this helpfile:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

I hope that provides some temporary relief.

If AC77 hasn't used a client recently we would recommend he goes for Thunderbird available from "thunderbird.net" which sets itself up automatically for VM's servers and uses IMAP as the default protocol to read all the folders on VM's systems.

I hope that the VM Forum Staff will take note of the "confusion" that AC77 has experienced in direct dealings with the VM support staff over the phone.  The VM Team here are diligent in feeding back issues like this and have done so repeatedly. But sometimes the message takes time to sink in.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

AC77
Tuning in
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all for your advice.

Just to clarify, I was temporarily hosted by Talk Talk but have been back with Virginmedia since 2016 so this is not a question of anything recent. Also I'm sure my email account was linked to my Virginmedia account for a long time, not least because one of the people I spoke to said that. I think somehow they also retained details of the old area code and Talk Talk arrangements alongside my account which really should not have happened because I spent a lot of time in 2016 to resolve the issues then - 3 years ago! - and had assurance at that time from VirginMedia that it would all be fine going forward. Which it was until three weeks ago...

I moved from that area 3 years ago to my current one (which was also my previous one) and VM installed all the new equipment at least two years ago. I have been paying for this so there's definitely no free-riding going on here.

Anyway, I will try the link provided and thanks for your attempts to speed up VM's response.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I don't want to prolong this discussion but we need to be clear. Talk Talk never hosted, took over or controlled any of the VM mail domains - not least virgin.net. Customers of the former VM ADSL service were transferred to Talk Talk for their broadband. Their e-mail remained under the control of VM and they has use of it for 12 months following the transfer. 

Your chronology is too difficult to work out. We need to see what the Forum Team can discover. No more posts please until they get to this, which they should tomorrow.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi AC77,

I shall investigate this for you and find out what's happening, and, if possible, restore email access. I need to identify your account (and email address) so have sent you a PM (purple envelope top right) - please reply with the requested information and I'll sort this out 🙂

Regards,

Jen
Forum Team