Menu
Izzie
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

URGENT!! My orphaned (&secondary) email account has been hacked! How do I close it down?!

Please help!!
i’ve been a VM customer and account holder for many years during which time I have had approx 4 account changes as I’ve moved house or changed my personal details. With each new account, I obviously had different primary email accounts registered to my account, some using different email servers.  For one of those old, legacy accounts I held, I also created a secondary email account ‘@virginmedia.com’ which I’ve been using for a number of years now as my main personal email account.  I haven’t accessed that email account using a PC for about 5 years as I use it primarily on my iOS devices using the iPhone mail app (this is due to accessibility reasons, I am registered blind and this is easier for me).

okay, that’s the backstory. About a week ago, I discovered that this email account has been hacked into, and as a result, everything linked to that account has been hacked into & my finances and identity have been compromised!!  I’ve tried changing passwords and security settings for everything that has been hacked, but somehow that email address is still being used by unauthorised parties across the globe!

obviously, I cannot change that email password on my iPhone or iPad, and I have called Virgin Media a number of times, including this morning. Unfortunately, they have absolutely no record of that email address, because it is not attached to my current VM account, and is a legacy orphaned Account that really should have been closed down years ago. So, in short, they cannot help me get into that account to either change the password or close it down. No one seemed to understand how I was still able to use it as they have absolutely no record of it!  up until a week ago I had been using it regularly to receive and send emails, and I doublechecked the details of that account using the mail tester.com site which clearly showed it was active, which obviously I already know!!

because of my disability, being blind (that’s only happened about three years ago), I’m not able to use a PC or laptop, I’m not confident enough with my adaptive software, so I’m at a loss as to what I can do using my iOS devices!

can anybody help me please??? Even if I need to just close that account down and delete it, that would be great!

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: URGENT!! My orphaned (&secondary) email account has been hacked! How do I close it down?!

HI Izzie,

Sorry to hear of the email issues. I'll be happy to sort the deletion of it.

I'll PM you now to arrange this.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
cantcope
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: URGENT!! My orphaned (&secondary) email account has been hacked! How do I close it down?!

URGENT  I am in the same position, my orphaned email account has been hacked, how can I close it down?

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you will get a reply on your own threat in the next few days and one of the staff will pass this to IT to delete
0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good morning cantcope, thanks for your post and welcome to the community. I am sorry for the email issues and I'll be glad to help. I'll need to advise for future reference to please not send an a PM to a colleague unless asked to do so.

I will respond to the PM send now.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for joining me on PM @cantcope

Just to update the thread, the email service was deleted via IT ticket.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos