cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT HELP PLEASE Locked out of email and cannot wait 5 days

JPS18
Tuning in

Hello,

My virginmedia.com email has been locked by Virgin and I'm told it will take them 5 working days to unlock it. I cannot reset the password as the email address doesn't show under 'manage accounts'. 

This is not the email address  I use to access my My Virgin Media account but all my bills and other important correspondence is linked to the virginmedia.com one.

I have several really urgent things on the go and cannot wait 5 days.  I've raised a complaint as I think this is unacceptable.  At the same time, I need a solution.  

Has anyone found a way round this?  Or is my only interim solution to set up a different email address (not virgin!) and update the various utility and other online accounts?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JPS18 wrote:

Dear coenoby/Very Insightful Person,

Thanks so much for replying.  Unfortunately it doesn't work it says: 'Unable to find your username'

I'm open to any more suggestions! 

😉

That error message is very worrying! Taking it at face value its saying that your email address no longer exists.

The best thing to do is to wait for your post to be picked up by the Forum Team. They will contact you via the forum and  can take a look at what's happened.  

By the way, re 'Outlook'. I was referring to Outlook.com which is Microsoft's online email service available via any browser. I think you are talking about MS's email client/app which confusingly is also called Outlook .

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JPS18 wrote:

Has anyone found a way round this?

You could try resetting your  password from here https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password  Enter your locked email address (not your My Virgin Media sign in address) and follow the prompts.

If you can reset the password give it 30 minutes before you try accessing it again to see if the account has unlocked..

Do bear in mind though that if this email address doesn't show up under 'manage accounts' it means it is not linked to your My Virgin Media account. As a result it could be deleted by Virgin Media at any time as an 'orphan' account. Presumably it was set up under a previous VM broadband account?

In answer to your other question:

" is my only interim solution to set up a different email address (not virgin!) and update the various utility and other online accounts?"

Personally, I would say that is a good long term solution. In my experience, a Gmail or Outlook.com email account will be more secure and give you less hassle than a VM email account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thanks so much for replying.  Unfortunately it doesn't work it says: 'Unable to find your username'

I have encountered the Orphan account problem from a Blueyonder account that eventually fell over in a heap a few years after I left Virgin because I moved house. I rejoined Virgin in April 2018 and set up this virginmedia email in the November.  So it should be connected to my account. However, this is just the latest thing I've found with Virgin that is not joined up. Very disappointed.

I'm open to any more suggestions! 😉

Best wishes

Hello again coenoby,

ps. thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to use Outlook but I had trouble getting that to work on my old Mac. and I have an iphone. But I will investigate further.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JPS18 wrote:

I'm open to any more suggestions! 

😉

That error message is very worrying! Taking it at face value its saying that your email address no longer exists.

The best thing to do is to wait for your post to be picked up by the Forum Team. They will contact you via the forum and  can take a look at what's happened.  

By the way, re 'Outlook'. I was referring to Outlook.com which is Microsoft's online email service available via any browser. I think you are talking about MS's email client/app which confusingly is also called Outlook .

Coenoby

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JPS18,

Thank you very much for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your email account.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take some more details and look into this for you.

Please look out for my message over at the purple envelope.

Thanks

Beth

Beth

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JPS18,

Just wanted to let you know that our IT Teams have now confirmed the mailbox to be unlocked 🙂

Do let us know if you have any further issues from here.

Kind regards

Beth

Beth

Hi Beth, thanks for following up.

however this is still not working. I tried to add to my email app and it said the password is not recognised.

I have tried on my virginmedia and there is nowhere for me to change/update the password

Pls Screenshot below. I guess you will need to pm me.

Further help still needed

Regards

Jennie

833484F1-A9F8-4B15-8700-3FF0C02A93A8.png

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JPS18,

Thanks for chatting with me via PM. Glad to hear you're able to access your emails again 🙂

I have now raised the issue where your email account is missing from your 'manage accounts' section of your My Virgin Media account. As soon as I hear anything back I will let you know.

Kind regards

Beth

Beth

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JPS18, 

Thank you for getting back to us. 

I am sorry to hear this has still not been resolved. 

I'll pop you over a new private message now and we can go from there. 

Please find this via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Thanks

Nat