Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Two email accounts have been hacked and I cannot get them deleted

My wife’s ntlworld email account was was hacked a few months ago.  We had an email from the hacker quoting the password with some unrealistic threats about what he could do.  As a proactive security measure I tried to delete the email account around 2 months ago.  The account has been deleted from my wife’s computer, phone, tablet etc.  She is now using an email address from another provider with better security given the poor standard of Virgin password policy (8 alpha numeric characters).

Neighbours and friends are still getting emails from this email account despite her not using suggesting someone has access and is using the account.  I have been told by the service team and complaints team that emails address cannot by deleted unless they are inactive for 90 days which is obviously not going to happen in this case as the hacker is using it.

I cannot believe email address cannot be deleted by the administrator of an email server but was told an hours ago by a man from Virgin complaints who was supposedly previously employed by Microsoft that that email address cannot be deleted from any email server.  I have administered a Microsoft Exchange email server and know this is incorrect.

Surely, if a hacker has assumed my wife’s identity this refusal to delete emails must breach some laws.  I see on this forum that ex customers of Virgin still have active email accounts despite them leaving Virgin years ago.  This is not acceptable.

The man I spoke to today said email does not form part of my contracted services so tough luck.  I’m sure the law would not agree.

If this cannot be sorted I shall be leaving Virgin Media and taking my custom elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two email accounts have been hacked and I cannot get them deleted

If the email addresses are secondary accounts on your primary Virgin Media account then you should be able to delete them yourself. Sign into My Virgin Media with your primary account details and the go to My Profile > Manage Accounts.  Click on View/Change next to the address concerned and the hit the red delete this account button on the next page.

If the addresses are not linked to your Primary account then the VM staff should be able to delete them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@MarvinAndroid wrote:

My wife’s ntlworld email account was was hacked a few months ago.  We had an email from the hacker quoting the password with some unrealistic threats about what he could do.  As a proactive security measure I tried to delete the email account around 2 months ago.  The account has been deleted from my wife’s computer, phone, tablet etc.  She is now using an email address from another provider with better security given the poor standard of Virgin password policy (8 alpha numeric characters).

You are VM broadband customer. So the e-mail addresses you are concerned about are linked to an active VM broadband account which you can access in the usual way to manage through My Virginmedia?  

Provided your wife's e-mail address is a secondary account then you should have been able to delete it via My Virginmedia.  Taking it off her devices without deleting from the VM system does not complete the task. The only accounts you cannot delete in this way are VM primary e-mail accounts, ie the ones that were used to set up the account in the first place. If the hackers had changed password on the primary account then using the forgotten password link when signing in to My Virginmedia should have given you access.

The threats e-mail are a well known scam. The hackers do not have the information on you they claim to have. Look at the Action Fraud web site to discover more about this.

Neighbours and friends are still getting emails from this email account despite her not using suggesting someone has access and is using the account.  I have been told by the service team and complaints team that emails address cannot by deleted unless they are inactive for 90 days which is obviously not going to happen in this case as the hacker is using it. 

They probably aren't getting emails from your wife's account. What is most likely happening is that the hackers are spoofing her name and address and making the mail look like it is coming from her account.

I cannot believe email address cannot be deleted by the administrator of an email server but was told an hours ago by a man from Virgin complaints who was supposedly previously employed by Microsoft that that email address cannot be deleted from any email server.  I have administered a Microsoft Exchange email server and know this is incorrect.

Look VM staff will say almost anything to get you off the phone. This is largely because they follow scripts to deal with enquiries and the majority of them get resolved that way. But this stuff is a little bit outside the normal. And so you get what you get.  As I have said the only addresses that can never be deleted fro the VM system are primary e-mail addresses. And Vm are not unique here. 

Surely, if a hacker has assumed my wife’s identity this refusal to delete emails must breach some laws.  I see on this forum that ex customers of Virgin still have active email accounts despite them leaving Virgin years ago.  This is not acceptable.

So go-ahead and sue VM or make a complaint to the ICO! See how far you get. Standing on your dignity will get you nowhere. Getting proper answers to your questions from the VM community here will sort this. And we can enlist the help of the VM team who staff this Forum to get stuff done.

The man I spoke to today said email does not form part of my contracted services so tough luck.  I’m sure the law would not agree.

E-mail is part of your contracted service insofar as VM agree to provide and you agree to use it in accordance with their terms and conditions. But it is a value added part of the service and as such VM accept no liability for its use or consequential issues.

If this cannot be sorted I shall be leaving Virgin Media and taking my custom elsewhere.

Of course we can get it sorted. But I don't use the VM mail for very much at all. I use one of the free non-ISP linked mail services which mean that should I ever leave VM I don't end up with an interruption to my e-mail service. 

The VM staff on this Forum will pick up this thread in the very near future. I take it that what you want them to do is get control back of your wife's address for you. Or you want them to delete it or enable you to delete it. That should be easily done. They will respond in this thread and then discuss the issue with you via private message because it involves the divulging of personal details which is not to be done in a public forum.

I do not work for VM  and I am not here to justify their customer service practices.  I am a VM customer like you whom VM recognise as having particular skill in sorting out knotty problems like this through familiarity with VM's systems and ways of working (VIP designation).  But your frustration is entirely understandable.

Let's see how we get on.

Edit - Graham_A puts it more succinctly! Kudos to him.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post MarvinAndroid and sorry to hear of your current email issues.

As the very helpful @HowardML and @Graham_A have advised, you may be able to delete this yourself through the steps given, however, if you're unable to do so we can look into doing this for you. 

To do so we'd need to pass some security through private message, I'll send you a private message now if you can please respond to this by going to the purple envelope in the top right of your screen if you still require some assistance. 

Thank you, Emily.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

One is a secondary account and I have deleted it but am told it will not be deleted for 90 days and only then if there had been no activity on the account for 90 days.  The problem is the account is being used by the person who hacked it to send emails to contacts in the address book.  Our neighbour received an email message yesterday from my wife’s account which she has need been used and has been deleted from her PC, phone, and, tablet for over 2 months now.  She is using email from another provider.  The 2nd account which I want deleting is the primary account.  I asked for it to be deleted 3 years ago and thought it had been until I read comments on here that caused me to check the account and find it is still active receiving mail from sites I had subscribed to and changed the email address when this account was breached.  Unfortunately,  the sites are still sending mail to this old email account and the new replacement one I gave them.

0 Kudos