Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Trying to access my deceased mothers ntlworld email account

Hi,

My mother passed  away in 2012 and it has only now arisen that we do not have access to any of her accounts and were wondering if its possible to gain access to these any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Callum Gourlay

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trying to access my deceased mothers ntlworld email account

was the BB in her name and if so was it cancelled in 2012 - if so her email account should have been deleted after 90 days - i say should as in some cases that does not always happen

if her email was linked to a BB account that is still active then her emails should still exist afaik - you would just need log in details - so post a few more facts needed and VM may be able to help

Tony
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Callum, 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for taking the time to get in touch. 

As Tony has mentioned in his post above, we would require more details please.  Once you've got back in touch on this thread we will be more than happy to see what we can do to help. 

Look forward to hearing from you, 

Hetty_R
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

obviously, don't post any personal details in the open forum.  Just the general facts of the case.  Personal details would be taken by private message when needed.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I think we had better try and manage expectations here. Just supposing that the address in question is still live VM would not be able to grant access to it because of the the data protection requirements of UK law.  E-mail addresses are personal to the account concerned and VM are very careful (and rightly so) to ensure that only the account holder and other people authorised by the account holder have access to relevant addresses.

So the first question to answer is whether this issue is worth pursuing because we do not know if the address is still valid and alive on VM's system.  It would be worth using "Mailtester" to see:

http://mailtester.com/testmail.php

If the response is "green" then the discussion takes one turn. If it comes up red then there is no point in continuing. The address is deleted from VM's systems and cannot be recovered.

VM moved all e-mail accounts to a new platform in 2015 (an in-house system as opposed to the out-sourced Google provided system).  That move and the passage of time since then could well have affected whether the address is still available. 

Please can we take this step by sensible step to avoid any false hopes being raised. My personal opinion (based on experience with VM and what I have seen on this Forum) is that this one is a forlorn hope.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped