Menu
Missey2308
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Trouble receiving email from a particular email address

Hi, in the past few days I have realised i Hadn't received any emails from my daughter's school. After getting in contact with them it turns out they have sent over 22 emails and I haven't received any of them.

I was previously receiving emails from them, it's a "group call" mailing list and everyone else is getting them, they have checked my email address and it's correct. When I emailed them to query they emailed back and that came through fine so it looks as though it's only the group call ones that are having the issue.

I've checked my blacklist and there's nothing on there.

Does anyone have any advise?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trouble receiving email from a particular email address

@Missey2308 wrote:

Does anyone have any advise?

One reason that the emails sent to an email distribution apparently 'disappear' could be that the Virgin Media spam filters are identifying them as spam because the school have entered the distribution list as  bcc (blind copy) recipients rather than cc'.  That is something spammers do when they send out mass mailings.

By the way, the school is correct to use bcc because that stops the recipients seeing everyone else's email addresses.

The email sent specifically to you and you alone will not have triggered the VM spam filters and so will have gone straight to your Inbox.

If you are looking at your email via an app on your phone or an email client such as Outlook on a laptop or PC then you need to check the spam folder in your VM Webmail account directly using this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ 

If the emails are in the VM Webmail spam folder, then adding the school's email address to your Webmail account contacts should (and I emphasise should) train the VM spam filters to let their emails through to your inbox in future.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Missey2308
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying.

I use both an email client and webmail, I've checked both spam folders and also checked the blacklist and there's nothing there.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Missey2308 wrote:

I've checked both spam folders
You should also check the SPAM setting in your Webmail account to make sure it is NOT set to "Reject all SPAM messages". See here how to do it https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-spam-settings

also checked the blacklist and there's nothing there.
You also need to check your Filter Rules although I don't think that's the problem but just to cover all the bases. Click on "Filter Rules" in the same menu as the "Blacklist" option
Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Missey2308
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, should have said I've done that too.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Miseey2308,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Have you attempted to look into the E-Mail header of the sender to see if this can identify the reason why you're having problems with this particular address? Click this handy link to see how to do this - https://mxtoolbox.com/Public/Content/EmailHeaders/ 

It may also be worthwhile seeing if the sender can also check the headers from the E-Mails you're sending also.

Do any other recipients have an issue with this address at all?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@David_Bn wrote:

Hi Miseey2308,

Have you attempted to look into the E-Mail header of the sender to see if this can identify the reason why you're having problems with this particular address? Click this handy link to see how to do this - https://mxtoolbox.com/Public/Content/EmailHeaders/ 

It may also be worthwhile seeing if the sender can also check the headers from the E-Mails you're sending also.

I hesitate to say but a few problems with that advice I think. 🤔

You say look "into the E-Mail header of the sender" but I am not sure how  Miseey2308 can do that when the emails are not appearing in the inbox. If an email is not received there is no email header to check.

Personally I do not think any purpose would be served by getting the sender to check the headers from the E-Mails Miseey2308 is sending. They will simply confirm that Miseey2308's emails to them are being delivered without any problem. Or perhaps I am missing something?

Since Miseey2308 has checked all the obvious Webmail settings that might cause the emails to disappear, in my opinion it would definitely be useful to ask the sender (the school) to check their email logs in relation to a message that Miseey2308 do not receive. The problem might be that their emails are not being passed on to the VM servers satisfactorily and their logs would show that.

Also, your link seems to end in an Error 404 dead end. I think the link you were referring to was this one https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx 

Coenoby

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response @coenoby

The link I was trying to send was this one - How to get E-Mail Headers Which I'm having no issues opening on Internet Explorer..

In the original post it was stated that the school has since been able to get through to the @Missey2308 and this was part of my reasoning for suggesting this. 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I would be very wary of asking relatively inexperienced users to to use MXToolbox in any circumstances. It contains a powerful set of tools that even I haven't come to full terms with. It is likely to mislead rather than enlighten if you don't know what you are looking for or doing. In any event it is inappropriately recommended here.

@coenoby is broadly on the right lines with his diagnosis. But I would expand further. There may not be an issue with individual mails going to and from the OP and the school, but you can bet your bottom dollar than there will be a issue if the mail from the school is part of a bulk mailing and is being sent using a bulk mailing program that is not properly configured or is being sent by a third party on behalf of the school and the configuration is amiss. 

What the OP needs to do is a coenoby suggests is to get the school to examine the e-mail log for the bulk mailing to see which ones are being returned as undelivered to  VM, most likely because VM are rejecting them. Again you can bet your bottom dollar that this is likely a case of VM greylisting the sending domain. That means VM simply delay acceptance of the mail because it looks like spam. The sending server eventually gets fed up and ceases trying. That will show up in the senders e-mail logs.

It's a lot of fuss. The simplest solution would be to have an account with a non-ISP related mail service (plenty out there) and use that. VM's spam filter behaviour is capricious to say the least. And tracking down this kind of issue is notoriously nightmarish. 

@David_Bn

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'd like to share my thoughts if I may.

I certainly agree with Coenoby here.  @David_Bn - The problem is, if we look at the email headers of a mail that's been received, we're still not going to know anything about the mail that's not been received.

Normally when a mail's not delivered, the sender should have some information, even if it's in the mail server logs.  As typically their email teams should be able to see whether a send is successful or whether it failed.  For example here's a sample from my server:

Jun 17 19:05:34 box postfix/smtp[106472]: 2A8887FFA8: to=<myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk>, relay=mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.56.11]:25, delay=1.2, delays=0.34/0.04/0.35/0.42, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 MXIN650 mail accepted for delivery ;id=lcRJjOsO7GClolcRJjsYvB;sid=lcRJjOsO7GClo;mta=mx4.tb;dt=2020-06-17T20:05:34+02:00;ipsrc=77.68.89.100;)

I've edited it slightly (note to mods, please leave the IP address alone as it belongs to my outbound server, not me).

The critical thing the log includes is the status:

dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 MXIN650 mail accepted for delivery ;id=lcRJjOsO7GClolcRJjsYvB;sid=lcRJjOsO7GClo;mta=mx4.tb;dt=2020-06-17T20:05:34+02:00;ipsrc=77.68.89.100;)

Which would tell them whether the mail was accepted, or whether something else happened.

Tim

Edit - Howard beat me to it here.  Sorry Howard.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks