Menu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Trouble accessing email

Why shouldn't I post my email address ??

[MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED] 

It's not like I can use the bloody thing. Worried for my safety or online security..? More concerned with angina and liver disease to be honest.

I'm one of the less feeble minded customers who you desperately rely on.

It's been clear for years, that you DO NOT wish to provide an email function that is reliable, functional and consistent..for customers.

So why do you 'pretend' to maintain it ??

The spammers on your platform, have absolute free reign. You do nothing to control them. YET...When I use big sites like gmail, right down to small European email providers..?? No problem in dealing with..and stopping spam.
Instead..?? With a Virgin, NTL etc...email account ?? Despite being the No.1 ISP provider in the UK...?? You still do less than nothing to deal with persistent spammers. INSTEAD..? We have to create spam filter rules, because you are so utterly indifferent, and in truth do not wish to provide the email service..just the internet, TV and phone services.

So WHY NOT stop pissing around, and just help customers to migrate..probably to GMail I'd say...where they can actually run a service, where the customer/client has actual effective control over the content coming in ?

I've read the community forums until my eyes bleed. STOP being idiots, and just work towards closing your comical 'email fuctionality' and assist both existing and new customers towards an alternative which can be relied upon. I'm sure GMail will love you for the custom.

After decades of business..WHY are you still so resolute in failing to provide the most simplistic of functions..ergo..email..which can still be wrecked by spammers, as you do less than nothing to cope with an issue utterly within your control to address..if so disposed ?

I'm the most honest customer you'll meet, and we both know I'm right. It's time to work in partnership with another email provider for customers..because you are most determined to NEVER ever take control of the endless spam which you idly allow tens of thousands of customers to endure, because of your apparent indifference in this regard.

It's not a debate here. Just the facts. Get off your arses and make this element of being a Virgin Media customer, both reliable and trustworthy.

We pay enough...so do a little to finally change this longstanding **bleep** show of an embarrassment to you, and persistent frustration to customers.

I'm a canny old ex cop. Waffle/political replies will just be mocked and laughed at.

I am right. We both know it. So fix it using the suggestions above.

Pete

..PS...It would be nice if I could actually access my email today...instead of an enlightening message telling me "Opps"

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trouble accessing email

Hey Larry_D

It is our policy to not give out any personal information over the forums, to avoid any fradulent use of your details. 

I have re-enabled your mailbox, please can you try to log into this again and let me know if it works.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Steven

Thanks for the reply here. My rant is partially (mostly ?) masking worry. I am isolated in the extreme, long before Covid was even a word we knew about. So I placed all my eggs in one 'email basket' when being a VM customer.

I've tried as you suggested, but absolutely no login to My Virgin media or email possible. It's still this message

"

We have found an issue

Please give us a call and remain on this page as one of our friendly agents will ask you for your URL reference. This will help us understand what's gone wrong."

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/error-606.html?support_id=5812776110527638530

I don't have the capacity to leave home at present due to personal health circumstances. I'm reliant on everything from shopping, personal health support, my cleaner/carer, paying bills..and more than I can recall off the bat -  through one email account for communication, verification, notices and updates.

I guess once/if able to get back into my mail, that I shall have to transition an entire online life into probably a gmail account, one thing at a time, because these dropouts along with the unaddressed spam issues, are making it utterly unreliable. I am off to edit my online Tesco shopping order for delivery tomorrow, but no means of accessing the confirmation email for peace of mind once ordered.

Apologies if I seem angry. The more worried I am, the angrier I sound. Last time I left the home was 24th September last year (to bring my Jake for his annual booster at the vets !!)..so I had a huge running start ahead of lockdown !! I need reliability, because I don't have friends or family to fall back on, and so yup - when I lose the centralised email that is the hub for everything...I get worried.

I'll keep trying to log back in. There's no issue with the Virgin Mobile account for my phone - but that's merely an observation, because as such I have no reason to ever actually use that account - it was just a test to see if that was down also...but it's working, albeit of no use to me practically. Never use my mobile phone, that's just for emergencies.

Anyways, I'll sort out my shopping, and try again later. I'll update here as and when access is restored. I hope it's today, otherwise things could get real tricky for me very fast.

Sorry again for the delivery. The sentiments are all true though.

Just tried again at 14.31...no change.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

Why shouldn't I post my email address ??

[MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED] 

It's not like I can use the bloody thing. Worried for my safety or online security..? More concerned with angina and liver disease to be honest.

It's been removed because it is against Forum rules to post personal information like e-mail addresses. The Forum is apublic hangout and spammers and scammers are known to use forums like this as a source of valid addresses to scam and spam. Personally I couldn't care less what happens to you, given the tone of this post, but I do care very much about other users who may be unaware as to why this rule is imposed and what can happen if their address gets compromised in this way.  The Mods enforce this rule strictly.

I'm one of the less feeble minded customers who you desperately rely on.

It's been clear for years, that you DO NOT wish to provide an email function that is reliable, functional and consistent..for customers.

So why do you 'pretend' to maintain it ??

The spammers on your platform, have absolute free reign. You do nothing to control them. YET...When I use big sites like gmail, right down to small European email providers..?? No problem in dealing with..and stopping spam.
Instead..?? With a Virgin, NTL etc...email account ?? Despite being the No.1 ISP provider in the UK...?? You still do less than nothing to deal with persistent spammers. INSTEAD..? We have to create spam filter rules, because you are so utterly indifferent, and in truth do not wish to provide the email service..just the internet, TV and phone services.

So WHY NOT stop pissing around, and just help customers to migrate..probably to GMail I'd say...where they can actually run a service, where the customer/client has actual effective control over the content coming in ?

Nothing stopping you doing that yourself.

I've read the community forums until my eyes bleed. STOP being idiots, and just work towards closing your comical 'email fuctionality' and assist both existing and new customers towards an alternative which can be relied upon. I'm sure GMail will love you for the custom.

After decades of business..WHY are you still so resolute in failing to provide the most simplistic of functions..ergo..email..which can still be wrecked by spammers, as you do less than nothing to cope with an issue utterly within your control to address..if so disposed ?

I'm the most honest customer you'll meet, and we both know I'm right. It's time to work in partnership with another email provider for customers..because you are most determined to NEVER ever take control of the endless spam which you idly allow tens of thousands of customers to endure, because of your apparent indifference in this regard.

It's not a debate here. Just the facts. Get off your arses and make this element of being a Virgin Media customer, both reliable and trustworthy.

We pay enough...so do a little to finally change this longstanding **bleep** show of an embarrassment to you, and persistent frustration to customers.

I'm a canny old ex cop. Waffle/political replies will just be mocked and laughed at.

I am right. We both know it. So fix it using the suggestions above.

Pete

..PS...It would be nice if I could actually access my email today...instead of an enlightening message telling me "Opps"

and with language like you use on a community Forum which is the space that VM users come to help other users in their own time and because we like being helpful you expect me to reply to this point. Go whistle for the answer or read the posts which relate to today's issues and solve it yourself.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Access has been restored just now. I've sent you a PM as well. Swapping everything over to GMail will be a time consuming daunting job no doubt...but will give me something different to do for days, if not weeks to come !!

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've now had a chance to reach Larry D's subsequent post and the reply from Stephen_L to the original post. I retract not a word of what I said in response to the original post. Given the tone and language I responded appropriately: particularly as this is a public forum. Those of us who come here to help have the right to expect that the public space offered by VM will be a space were we all feel comfortable.

Larry D is not the only one with serious health challenges and nor is he the only person who comes here in difficult circumstances to manage. I would always try to my best to help where I can and I have sometimes gone to extraordinary lengths to get things put right for where circumstances have conspired against people or VM have not got things right. 

Those of us who advise on the VM mail system know only full well that it has shortcomings, which from time to time are serious. We always explain that it is provided as a value added service to VM's main business of providing fast internet, TV and other mainstream communication services. It is generally accepted that there are much better mail services out there which are not ISP related and which have better security, generally fewer faults and much better spam filtering because they are provided by companies that see this as a main part of their offer. 

Even as a long time VM customer I do not use the VM mail system. I use a separate non-ISP related service and have done so for a long time. The transition from VM mail is simple and quick. The first step is to get it up and running by exporting your contacts from VM mail and importing to ,say GMail. Takes about 10 minutes. 

You should not attempt to move mail from VM across straightaway. The second priority is to tell your contacts that you have changed. I did my notifications in batches over a period of a few days. IF you want to move mail from one system to another you can export, gain in stages. But I wouldn't bother.  What you can more easily do is set up your new e-mail provider to receive your VM mail directly. GMail allows you to do this. Finally you might want to export existing mail. 

Had I seen a genuinely enquiring post from the OP he would have got an equally full and sympathetic answer from me - as I think I have now given. 

I hope that makes my position and approach to this Forum clear, beyond any doubt whatsoever.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the detailed advice about how to make the move and transfer the contacts elsewhere..in this case it is GMail, now set up and primed to go.

And yes I apologise for being gruff. It was not directed towards a person, but nonetheless still not my best foot forward post it has to be said - hence why there is certainly no need indeed to retract a single word you said. I happened to agree with you, as much as you meant it.

Take Care

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What a gracious response. We are always happy to help people with easy or difficult issues and as VIPs, because we don't work for VM but have privileged access to them, we are free to criticise or praise, which we do in unequal measure! All we ask that is that people appreciate what a community forum is for.

Good luck with GMail. My wife uses it on my recommendation when she could have had a VM mail address. And interestingly VM used the GMail platform for many years up to 2015 when Google themselves withdrew the service they provided to ISPs to run branded e-mail services at very short notice. .