Menu
Carolina
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Transferring e-mails to another provider

I am moving from Virginmedia to another provider and would like help in backing up e-mails or how to move them all to the new provider (there is a lot of e-mails.)

I also would like an easy method of doing this please as although I am good on the computer, I am not an advanced user.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transferring e-mails to another provider

You are about to learn how to be much better on a computer than you ever imagined!  A number of possible solutions suggest themselves.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/... to back them up, doesn't transfer direct your new supplier but leaves available for you to refer to

Export them and your contact list (advice for the contact list) from VM web mail (which I presume you are using) and import then into the web mail of your new provider (you have to ask them how to do this part of the operation though we might be able to help if we are familiar with their system

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

You might need to get some high capacity memory sticks for this.

Download your e-mails to an e-mail client like Thunderbird from the VM web mail system. That way you'll be able to read them all in future. Look at this:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Thunderbird can be downloaded free from www.thunderbird.net and it sets itself up for the VM servers so once you have entered your e-mail account details with VM you are good to go and grab you mail from the VM system, including any folders you have set up.

To avoid this happening again why not use one of the free e-mail supplier that are not linked to an ISP? You'll have to export your existing mail one time only but you'll never have to do it again if you change ISP again.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Carolina
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I need to transfer from Virgin Media to Talk talk please

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Carolina wrote:

I need to transfer from Virgin Media to Talk talk please

It really would be better to transfer your email service to one not tied to an ISP, such as the gmail service already mentioned. Just because you're moving to TT doesn't mean that you have to use TT's email service.

If you transfer email to TT and later move on again, it will mean another email transfer. Go independent and you'll only have to go through the upheaval just this once.

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
Lurking....
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------