Menu
aps
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Transferring an email address from one VM account to another

I have had an NTLWORLD, now VM account and intend to keep it.   My mother who is in her late 80s also has an account which is for broadband only.   She is thinking of cancelling this as it is now very expensive for what it is, plus she is likely to move into some form of sheltered housing in the near future.   

Is there any way that when she cancels the account, that her email address can be added to my account as an additional email address (I have not used up the 9 allowed) as she appears to have registered that address will many people and companies.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transferring an email address from one VM account to another

Hello

The way the email system works is a Move and Transfer but that will remove all of the email accounts on the account it is transferred too, I am afraid you cannot add just an email address from another account.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
aps
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK. But how long will it be after the account is cancelled before the address on the old account is released to I could then add it to my account?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@aps wrote:

OK. But how long will it be after the account is cancelled before the address on the old account is released to I could then add it to my account?

The email address should be closed 90 days after the broadband account is terminated.

Once closed the email address cannot be recreated on any account.  There  is no way to achieve what you are seeking to do.  A better option would be to create a new email address with a provider such a gmail or MS Outlook and get the account registrations switched from the existing email address to the new one whilst you still have access to it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Read post #40 in this thread for more information: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Can-t-log-in-to-virgin-net-email/td-p/4140683/page/4

Then read the contents of this thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Transfer-old-email-to-new-Virgin-account/td-p/4164640 post#5 to post#13 to see how the criteria appear to change, depending on circumstances or who provides a reply.

Assume the worst and accept that the email address will not be available to transfer to a different account unless VM state differently.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo wrote:

read the contents of this thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Transfer-old-email-to-new-Virgin-account/td-p/4164640 post#5 to post#13 to see how the criteria appear to change, depending on circumstances or who provides a reply..

Thanks for including that link with the recent updates to the Move and Transfer criteria. I missed that back in March.

However, do we know if the point made by DJ_Shadow1966 back in post 2 of this thread is still VM policy?

"a Move and Transfer ........will remove all of the email accounts on the account it is transferred too, I am afraid you cannot add just an email address from another account."

I thought that was always a given but perhaps VM are softening on that. If not the original poster may no longer wish to move his mother's email address to his account even if VM are willing to allow the move.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby Not sure which bit of DJShadow1966 post you are querying but the Move and Transfer system can only totally replace the email addresses on the receiving account with those from the closed account.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

Not sure which bit of DJShadow1966 post you are querying but the Move and Transfer system can only totally replace the email addresses on the receiving account with those from the closed account.  

Thanks that is exactly the part I quoted in my post.

"a Move and Transfer ........will remove all of the email accounts on the account it is transferred too, I am afraid you cannot add just an email address from another account."

I assumed it was still the case but it is good to get it reconfirmed.👍

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos