Menu
Catamoran2
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Transferring Virgin email account to new laptop

I have recently  bought a new laptop and want to access my emails through Thunderbird as well as Windows Mail on my desktop. When I set up a new account on my laptop it downloads 10,000 plus emails. I am no computer expert but I have a vague idea what IMAP or POP means and maybe this is why it is happening? I have tried to over rule it by setting the email synchronisation to 30 days but still all previous emails arrive. Could anyone help please as its driving me mad! I don`t want to do anything which may affect my desktop.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Transferring Virgin email account to new laptop

you need to set it up as imap and it will lsync between the devices. pop will delete the emails from the server once downloaded
0 Kudos
Catamoran2
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your answer. I have set it up with IMAP and its downloaded 9500 emails but they have not disappeared yet. Think I may have to resort to deleting them manually.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

thy will not delete them. that is by design
0 Kudos
dinahlily
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am setting up a new laptop with Windows 10. I seem to have two email accounts, one virgin media which I always use and one Google which I never use. I now find Outlook is getting involved as well. I am elderly and am not a computer tech. I have tried syncing the two accounts but I m not getting anywhere. Can someone help please. I do have a tablet as back up at the moment. Thank you

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi dinahlily,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. This depends on what it is you are wanting to do with your new laptop. The the simplest and most straightforward option is to continue to log in and use the service directly from our email website.

If you want to use an application or email client [for example Outlook or Windows Mail] to fetch your emails for you, then you need to configure the app/email client for those email accounts you have. You can find out how to set up your email client for Virgin Media emails here

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos