Menu
pritesh24
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Transfer of email addresses?

Is it possible to transfer all email addresses (old ntlworld ones) from my dads virgin broadband account for which we have given notice of cancellation for to a new broadband account i set up in my name?

If so can someone explain the process to do this once i open up a new virgin btoadband account in my name?

0 Kudos
pritesh24
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transfer of email addresses?

just to clarify the two accounts are at the same address.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Criteria required for a transfer of email are noted in this thread, post #40
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Can-t-log-in-to-virgin-net-email/td-p/4140683/page/4

1. The email address in question must be active
  2. The disconnected account and active broadband account must have the same account holder
  3. It must be the account holder who contacts us
  4. Full DPA must be passed on both accounts

If the above criteria are met we are able to attempt to transfer the email address. Another thing to note is that if the disconnected account has multiple email accounts attached (Primary and secondary) all email addresses will be transferred. Any email addresses tied to the active broadband account would be disconnected and replaced by those from the old disconnected account. 

If any of the above criteria are not met, we are unable to transfer the orphaned email account. 

Further clarification, with particular reference to item 2 above, has been provided in post #11 here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Transfer-old-email-to-new-Virgin-account/td-p/4164640/pag...

The main use for move & transfer is to allow a customer to take an email account with them if they move and have to set up a new account. The process moves a whole email service with primary and secondary addresses from one account to another.

When we do a move & transfer we ensure we clear DPA on the new account and the old account before transferring. As a rule we wouldn't do it for accounts in different names, but when we have reason to do so we'll clear DPA on both accounts as well. If the former account is no longer active then we don't have enough information to clear DPA, and therefore we can't transfer any of the email accounts.

Requesting a "move and transfer" of the existing account should therefore be possible, providing all requirements are met.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
pritesh24
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

hi thanks for the response.

If we create the new virgin broadband account in my dads name, then it will be possible to meet all requirements of the transfer and tranfer all the old email boxes?

Will virgin let my dad open a new broadband account at the same address?

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Creating a new account with the same name at the same address if possible, (Virgin Media will have to answer that one) I believe would still require a "move and transfer" request to keep the existing email addresses, but without any "new customer" or any existing benefits or discounts. To be classed as a new customer requires no VM broadband contract for the previous 3 months, if memory serves.

You'd be back in the same situation you are in now.

Better to cancel the cancellation and retain the services currently provided with the existing account.

There is also the option to transfer the account which may be worth considering as an alternative solution. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-change-name#transfer. I believe the account being transferred will have to be active for this to be possible.

To determine exactly what is possible and what options you actually have will require input from Virgin Media though.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
pritesh24
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for that.

I think i will wait to see from virgin what they require as reason to do so on the below, seems to be the only way i can get it done.

As a rule we wouldn't do it for accounts in different names, but when we have reason to do so we'll clear DPA on both accounts as well

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the post Pritesh24 and welcome to our community. 

We would need both you and your father to pass secuirty over private message and this would need to be done on your individual forum accounts before we can put through a move and transfer and the new account would need to be fully active. 

Thanks, Emily.

pritesh24
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

HI Emily,

That is perfect I will get my dad to set up a forum profile on his main/current ntlworld email address and well and i will go ahead and open the new broadband account.

Once I have everything together i will pm you details of both broadband accounts and forum accounts.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello pritesh24

Emily is currently away from work right now

Have you been able to get this set up and send the PM?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
pritesh24
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth, not yet but will be in the next few days.

Thanks

0 Kudos