Menu
borris1972
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Transfer of email addresses

Hi, my Dad passed away last year and my mum took over the contract for virgin media (which you guys sorted for me). Mum has now moved into a care home and we will shortly, once the house is sold, be cancelling her virgin contract. My question is, would it be possible for the email addresses on her account be added to my virgin contract so she can carry on using her blueyonder email address? This way she has email address that is registered with everyone and we continue to use our email? Thanks Dave

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transfer of email addresses

First of all, sorry to learn that your Mum needs to move into a care home.  The bad news is that her e-mail address cannot normally be moved from her account (soon to be defunct) to any other account (yours). Notice I use the word normally. VM can arrange what is called a "move and transfer" but if that is successful (and it isn't always possible or successful) then it wipes entirely the existing addresses and their contents on the receiving account.  It also means that your Mum's e-mail address would become your primary address for logging into things like MY Virginmedia.  I doubt you want to do any of that. But if you do,  wait here and see what further guidance the VM Forum Team can give you. 

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
borris1972
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for a quick reply. Definitely do not want her details overwriting my ones. Shame it cannot be done, ive worked on backend email systems for over 20 years and it does seem very infexible. Looks like a 3rd party email address and contact everyone then, more work for me unfortunately 😭 Dave

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The VM system (single sign on) is written in such a way that e-mail addresses are always associated with one particular account and cannot normally be split from that account.  The aren't free-floating. The move and transfer process is more of an account to account move - as I understand it. 

Your solution is the right way forward.

Good luck.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Until recently I never gave much thought to the status of secondary email addresses on Virgin Media's system.  However a couple of recent posts did make me realise that it's not as straight forward as people think.

Essentially the account owner is given an initial primary email address (which they can change to something more suitable) and the permissions to create up to 9 more email addresses.

This creates a profile up to 10 email addresses that are intimately linked to that users broadband account.

However what most people don't realise is that this means that the secondary email accounts are "owned" and administered by the broadband account they are created under.  The main account holder ultimately has the power to change passwords and choose whether or not a secondary account is deleted.

So it's not really down to VM being inflexible, there are a whole load of legal ramifications inherent in this.  It in fact causes a very messy situation if a relationship breaks down (as VM would need the primary account holders permission to delete a secondary address).

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.