Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Transfer of email addresses across virgin accounts

Hi All

As a result of divorce, I moved to a new home last year and established a Virgin account with new telephone number. My wife remains in the old house with old telephone number, and I have been covering payments and kept the old account open. 

Divorce process complete, my wife now has responsibility for old house and wants to keep old telephone number. However what is important to me is the transfer of the 4-5 subsidiary email addresses created on this account, which are used actively by myself and daughters. I have called Virgin several times and have got different opinions, the only consistency being this is potentially complicated! 

My new home/Virgin account is established. Scenarios/Questions:

1) If I close the old account the advisers think (but were not sure) that the email addresses on the account could be transferred to my new/current Virgin account (not fussed about the old Virgin master email on which the account is based). The old telephone number is at risk of being lost, but it should be possible to pick up within 30 days with a new account for my ex wife.

2) I transfer ownership of the account to my wife. As I understand the old account is still closed and new account is established, but she then "owns" the account. I dont mind her having the old phone number, but concerned if she then "owns" the email addresses, on her new account. I may then have little ability to instruct on the account and resolve.

3) If email addresses transferred, are they transferred with file history? If not can I still access them on the old account; if so is there a cutoff period after which the account is deleted? 

4) Assuming emails can come to my new/current account, if one of the email addresses is my wife's can she transfer this to establish her new account or do all emails associated with old account need to transfer to the same recipient account?

The "learn" on this is to move to non service provider email addresses, which I'm doing, however these were established a very long time ago and with everything else going on its a task I dont want to face up to for now! 

All help/comment greatly appreciated. 

John 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Transfer of email addresses across virgin accounts

@John_S2020 wrote:

Hi All

There is so much here to deal with I am going intersperse my reply with your original post so you get a proper understanding of your options. You have, not I am sure with any bad intent, hit upon one of the most difficult issues facing VM mail users and users of VM mail addresses. They are not easily transportable when something like this happens. My ultimate advice is that if you don't want this to happen again then none of your new household should ever use an ISP linked e-mail address. For example when your family leave home to go to university. Use a non-ISP linked address like Gmail or Outlook.com - to name but two.

As a result of divorce, I moved to a new home last year and established a Virgin account with new telephone number. My wife remains in the old house with old telephone number, and I have been covering payments and kept the old account open. 

Let's start from basics. VM don't care who pays the bills. What they do care about is who is named on the contract. If you are still named then you remain liable for the account whether you have another account elsewhere or not. There is a procedure to get this changed so start reading here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-change-name

Divorce process complete, my wife now has responsibility for old house and wants to keep old telephone number. However what is important to me is the transfer of the 4-5 subsidiary email addresses created on this account, which are used actively by myself and daughters. I have called Virgin several times and have got different opinions, the only consistency being this is potentially complicated! 

You can bet that it is. You can't just move the subsidiary addresses. Every VM account comes with a bouquet of e-mail addresses. They are all tied together through the primary account. You can move them all but you can't move some of them. 

My new home/Virgin account is established. Scenarios/Questions:

I think I've answered all of your questions in your scenarios with what I have said above. 

Keeping the old phone number at your ex-wife's address won't be an issue under a transfer of responsibility arrangement (which is the way forward) but if you want some of the e-mail addresses you can't do that. You have take all or nothing. And you are right. The perosn that controls the primary account address controls the account. If it is complete severance you are after you now have the knowledge to do it.

1) If I close the old account the advisers think (but were not sure) that the email addresses on the account could be transferred to my new/current Virgin account (not fussed about the old Virgin master email on which the account is based). The old telephone number is at risk of being lost, but it should be possible to pick up within 30 days with a new account for my ex wife.

2) I transfer ownership of the account to my wife. As I understand the old account is still closed and new account is established, but she then "owns" the account. I dont mind her having the old phone number, but concerned if she then "owns" the email addresses, on her new account. I may then have little ability to instruct on the account and resolve.

3) If email addresses transferred, are they transferred with file history? If not can I still access them on the old account; if so is there a cutoff period after which the account is deleted? 

4) Assuming emails can come to my new/current account, if one of the email addresses is my wife's can she transfer this to establish her new account or do all emails associated with old account need to transfer to the same recipient account?

The "learn" on this is to move to non service provider email addresses, which I'm doing, however these were established a very long time ago and with everything else going on its a task I dont want to face up to for now! 

Good and I understand. But the choices you face now with VM are rather stark. You can't do what I think you are driving at.

All help/comment greatly appreciated. 

Done

John 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howard

Thanks for the response! I've looked at the link but I think this is to do with the transfer of ownership. I've thinned out what I'm out to clarify to: 

1) If I close (old) account, can I transfer (all) email addresses on old account to my current Virgin account? (nb Old phone number resolved with Virgin during notice period.)

2) If I transfer ownership of old account to my ex wife, she controls old phone number but will all email addresses also fall under her control and prevent me from transferring them to my current Virgin account? 

3) Assuming email address transfer, will email message history transfer across also? 

Many thanks 

John 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@John_S2020 wrote:

Hi Howard

Thanks for the response! I've looked at the link but I think this is to do with the transfer of ownership.

Same thing - responsibility/ownership. It's just changing who controls the the account. The transfer of responsibility is a joint thing.

I've thinned out what I'm out to clarify to: 

1) If I close (old) account, can I transfer (all) email addresses on old account to my current Virgin account? (nb Old phone number resolved with Virgin during notice period.)

Yes

2) If I transfer ownership of old account to my ex wife, she controls old phone number but will all email addresses also fall under her control and prevent me from transferring them to my current Virgin account? 

No, you can still ask for a move and transfer of all e-mail addresses. Your wife will get a new account primary address anyway

3) Assuming email address transfer, will email message history transfer across also? 

Yes

Many thanks 

John 

Happy now?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Super! I think we are there! 
Many thanks John 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Now you can negotiate this yourself but I would also wait for the VM Forum staff here to take a look and advise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, how do I know this has happened - do they respond, or does the message get a thumbs up or something? 
J

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

They'll add to this thread shortly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM email accounts and divorces do not mix well from a legal viewpoint.

This is because while the main account holder can indeed make subsidiary email addresses for their loved ones, ownership of those accounts falls to the owner of the main account.

With this comes full control of password resets for the sub accounts etc.  All the the email addresses on the account form one package and can't be separated out.

So if you and your wife both have email addresses under the same broadband account, one of you is going to have to give them up.

Tim