Menu
dante01
Well-informed
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Transfer of Pre-existing Email to New Account.

Firstly, yes I know that this is possible, but my scenario is one with additional issues compared to how this would ordinarily be done.

I've recently taken responsibility of a pre-exising Virgin Media account and did ask Virgin Media prior to proceeding with this if I'd also be able to transfer the primary email address associated with the old account across to the new account. I was told that this would be possible.

The issue I'm now having is that due to a glitch with Virgin Media's systems, I'm unable to now register for My Virgin Media online. This issue is reported here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Unable-to-register-new-account-afte...

I'm told by Virgin Media's broadband customer support team that they cannot transfer the old email address to my new account without me registering a new My Virgin Media online account to which the old email account would be conveyed.

The Virgin Media fault causing me to be unable to register a new My Virgin Media account has now been prevalent for 6 weeks since the transfer of responsibility took place and the old email account could potentially be deleted by Virgin Media 90 days after the transfer if it hasn't been reassigned to the new account by then. I'm facing the prospect of losing my old email through no fault of my own and due to Virgin Media's inability to maintain their own systems. My question is, is there any way to save this old email account and prevent its deletion  if Virgin Media are still unable to resolve the issue preventing me from registering a new My Virgin Media account online?

Thanks

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: d ask Virgin Media

No idea as to why the title of my thread/topic changed of its own accord, but I didn't entitle it  "d ask Virgin Media". I entitles the topic Transfer of Pre-existing Email to New Account.

Does anything actually work as intended at Virgin Media?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello dante01

Sorry you have had to chase this up again 

I have checked the IT Ticket and we have an estimated fix date of 21/08/2019

The Team will usually get in touch with you to let you know its all been resolved 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Gareth_L wrote:

Hello dante01

Sorry you have had to chase this up again 

I have checked the IT Ticket and we have an estimated fix date of 21/08/2019

The Team will usually get in touch with you to let you know its all been resolved 

Gareth_L

Thank you for the reply, but the question wasn't in relation to my inability to register a new My Virgin Media online account but more a matter of saving the existing email account without having a new My Virgin Media account to assign it to. I'm not hopeful about the My Virgin Media registration issue being resolved in 5 days, not after I've been repeatedly fed the 5 day line for over 6 weeks now. I need to know if Virgin Media can preven my old email account being deleted if Virgin Media cannot repair the registration issue and transfer the old email to a new account?

This is an issue of Virgin Media's making and don't see why I should have to face the prospect of me losing my old email account because Virgin Media cannot fix their own IT systems.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply as well dante01

The old email account will not be deleted and carried over to your current account

Any accounts. even if they are from transferring names will be set up as a new account with a new account number, which in turn needs a new My Virgin Media account 

The email address is transferred across as it was

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Gareth_L wrote:

Thanks for your reply as well dante01

The old email account will not be deleted and carried over to your current account

Any accounts. even if they are from transferring names will be set up as a new account with a new account number, which in turn needs a new My Virgin Media account 

The email address is transferred across as it was

Gareth_L

Again, I cannot register a new My Virgin Media account so I have nowhere to move the old email to. This is not of my doing and is caused by a fault with Virgin Media's IT system.

I already know it is possible to transfer the existing email address to a new account, but can it be saved if Virgin Media fail to resolve the issue preventing me from registering a New My Virgin Media account in time? I've currently no online account to which to move the old email to.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is why it has been passed to our IT Team to fix and allow you to set up a new account ^GT

0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Gareth_L wrote:

This is why it has been passed to our IT Team to fix and allow you to set up a new account ^GT

Again, this isn't what I asked.

can my pre-ecisting emall address be saved if Virgin Media fail to resolve the issue preventing me from registering a New My Virgin Media account before the 90 day of grace period associated with the now closed account elapses?

This is without the IT team being able to repair the issue preventing me from registering a new My Virgin Media account in association with the new account I've transferred to.

Again, it is looking more and more likely that your IT team will not be able to repair your systems in time, meaning my old email address will be deleted by Virgin Media due to no fault of my own and after I was promised that I'd be able to transfer this email address to the new account 

Is there anything Virgin Media can do to prevent the old email account from being deleted if the worst does come to the worst?

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

On your original post (when not logged in) -

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community] by Lindsay_C

Perhaps the heading d ask Virgin Media indicates (in code of some sort) that your issue can only be dealt with by Virgin Media staff? I cant see any way it would possibly assist the community in helping with your issue.

Would a Transfer of Responsibility of the existing account into your name not leave the account, including the existing My Virgin Media account, virtually unchanged? You would then have full access to the account and its associated emails.

Or is this scenario impossible with the current systems?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo wrote:

On your original post (when not logged in) -

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community] by Lindsay_C

Perhaps the heading d ask Virgin Media indicates (in code of some sort) that your issue can only be dealt with by Virgin Media staff? I cant see any way it would possibly assist the community in helping with your issue.

Would a Transfer of Responsibility of the existing account into your name not leave the account, including the existing My Virgin Media account, virtually unchanged? You would then have full access to the account and its associated emails.

Or is this scenario impossible with the current systems?

The issue is explained exactly as it is,

I transferred accounts and had an existing ntlworld email address associated with the old account that I was reassured by Virgin Media that I'd also be able to transfer. The account transfer took place, but I was then unable to register a new My Virgin Media online account in association with the new VM account. THis means that my pre-existing email account cannot be transferred because there's nowhere to tranfer it to. This old account will be deleted 90 days post the old account closing and 6 weeks have already elapsed since the issue with the inability to register the new account online was raised with Virgin Media. Virgin Media are unable to repair this so I face the prospect of losing a long standing prexisting email address because Virgin Media's IT team are unable to rectify smething thay is fundimental to being able to gain access to all My Virgin Media online services. 

0 Kudos