Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thunderbird

For the past five days I have been able to receive emails but I cannot send them. This is the error message

This Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.virginmedia.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again.

Any suggestions to fix this please? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thunderbird

In:

• Windows 10,  open a command shell and enter the following command:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | findstr "235 VM"​ 

• Unix based operating system, open a terminal window and type the following commands:

export HISTCONTROL=ignorespace`
 curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | grep "235\\|VM"​ 

Where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, for example richard.branson@virginmedia.com :Y54kpX5g

Post the resulting output here taking care to first redact any personal information.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply and apologies for my late reply, is there an easier way to solve my issue/issues than this?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@fleurecosse wrote:
Thank you for your reply and apologies for my late reply, is there an easier way to solve my issue/issues than this?

Not really, unfortunately to identify the issue the VM error code is needed.

An alternative route to establish it in Thunderbird is set out in this post:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks