Menu
IanWade
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thunderbird: invalid backend errors

Two scenarios:

1. On a desktop: running Thunderbird 32-bit. Clicking "Get all new messages" works properly every time. Never fails.

2. On a laptop: also running Thunderbird 32-bit. Clicking "Get all new messages" sometimes works, but often fails with "Error with account xxxxxxx@virginmedia.com -- Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server pop3.virginmedia.com responded: Invalid Backend.".

In both cases running latest Thunderbird 78.2.1

Any ideas what is wrong?

Ian

0 Kudos
IanWade
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Thunderbird: invalid backend errors: SOLVED!

:Replying to my own message

Found the solution here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/ERR-Invalid-Backend/m-p/4018539#M175881

From that post:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Inbound:
Server: pop3.virginmedia.com
Port:    995
Security: SSL
Username: Your full email address e.g. joebloggs@blueyonder.co.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Using this example, I had only put "joebloggs", not "joebloggs@blueyonder .co.uk" as the Username.

However, my Username has actually been set up to just "joebloggs" for a long, long time, but only now started failing.

Never mind, problem solved.

Ian

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The answer is not immediately obvious but easy to explain what you saw. If you use the the legacy servers then you are not required to enter the full e-mail address as your username. If you use the virginmedia.com servers then you are. T/Birds automatic set up should do this without your invention but if you set up manually you might forget this step.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
IanWade
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML

Guilty as charged, m'lud!

I've been manually configuring email since around 1920-ish (or was it 1820-ish ...?), mainly because back in those halcyon days there was no other way to do it. I've now learnt my lesson, and I now know what's special about virginmedia.com.

Thanks for the steer.

Ian

0 Kudos