Menu
Dee67
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thunderbird Password problem with Virgin Media

Hi

My husband and I have been using Thunderbird as our email program for the last 12 years or so and never had any problems till yesterday.

My husband has no problems receiving his emails but when mine download I get the following error message..

"Sending of password for user [MOD EDIT: Removed] did not succeed. Mail server pop3.virginmedia.com responded: [AUTH] Authentication failed."

We have not changed anything in the last few days and we are stumped as to what the problem is, can anyone please help.

Thanks7

Dorothy

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thunderbird Password problem with Virgin Media

I have asked the Moderators to obscure your email address in order to help protect your privacy.  You should never post personal details in a public space.

The message you see in Thunderbird may be disguising another issue.  What happens if you try to sign into your email address via the webmail page in a browser https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

I suspect you may see a 'Mailbox unavailable message ... please try later...'. 

Please check this and post back with the result. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dee67
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham

Silly mistake from me including my email address, thanks for removing it. I clicked your link and the message states..

"Sorry

Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.

If the problem continues, please call our team for help on 150 from a Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select option 2. For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary."

Thanks again

Dorothy

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That is what I expected.  I have flagged this to the Forum Team as they will need to look into this for you.

They will respond to this thread as soon as they can.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dee67
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Graham, much appreciated.

Dorothy

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dee67, 

Thanks for your post and welcome 🙂

Apologies that you're having problems accessing your email right now.

I can see you've been in good hands with @Graham_A.

As he has said, I'll need to take a closer look in to this for you, and get your mailbox enabled, so I'll pop you a private message now. 

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos