Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thuderbird Email client not working

Hi i an having to change my email client as Incredimail no longer works and benetoldThunderbird is great.

PRoblem is i am having trouble with settings.

I  have tried iamap.ntlworld.com and imap.virginmedia.com and both do not seem to work, i have also treid both with pop3.

Also the smtp i sometimes have trouble with.

I have looked up the settings

any help pleae

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thuderbird Email client not working

Thank you for your post Linny40.

We have a helpful guide to setting up your email with a client here.

I have also found another thread with a manual configuration for this which may help further if you still have any issues. 

Hope this helps, Emily.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Emily_G 

That help page is outdated.  A few years ago a user published the settings for Virgin Media's email domains to Mozilla's ISP Database.  This was followed by Virgin Media actually publishing the settings themselves via the primary method recommended by Mozilla (The ISPDB is actually a fallback autodiscover mechanism).

The settings for ntlworld are found here for example

http://autoconfig.ntlworld.com/mail/config-v1.1.xml

Although the users don't have to worry about that.  The means of finding the location is baked into thunderbird.

Thus for all VM domains all the user needs to do is enter the FULL email address and password, and then decide whether to use POP3 or IMAP as their preferred receive method)  IMAP is recommended.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ok not sure if i made myself clear.

I know how to set up but just not sure WHICH settings to use.

My email is ntlworld.com so do i use smtp. ntlworld.com or smtp.virginmedia.com same with pop3 or imapshould it be with ntlworld.com or virginmedia.com

With incredimail my 2 oldest addresses used the server ntl but the rest of my vm email addresses ( all end in ntl) used the server virginmedia.com 

so which ones should i input to the thunderbird?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@linny40 

The whole point is that you don't need to worry about the server names now.  Thunderbird does it all for you.

The correct servers for all four domains

ntlworld.com
blueyonder.co.uk
virgin.net
virginmedia.com

Are as follows:

POP3

pop3.virginmedia.com  port 995 Security SSL/TLS Password type - Plain

IMAP

imap.virginmedia.com port 993 Security SSL/TLS Password type - Plain

SMTP

smtp.virginmedia.com Port 465 Security SSL/TLS Password type -plain

Username in all cases is the full email address e.g.

richardbranson@virginmedia.com
ussainbolt@blueyonder.co.uk
fredsmith@ntlworld.com
johnjones@virgin.net

I've used the above servers since before 2015 for my blueyonder account.  Having one set of settings to remember regardless if your email address is so much easier for most people.  In fact if I had my way the old legacy servers would be retired completely.  Virgin Media advertised the updated settings as the recommended ones over 2 years ago.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tim Thank you,butfor some reason i still have problems with my main email - typical!! 

Update- think ivesorted. the settings were incorrect they were set to STARTTLS not SSL. Now all working

Thanks Tim for your help i chose POP3 rather than imap as thats all Incredimail servers used..When i come on vmwebmail my emails are all there. is ther much differencebetweem imap & pop3?

My ihponeapp i usedoes not ask  (my.com)& sets automatilcally. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Incredimail is an email client rather than a server and it's also supported both POP3 and IMAP for a number of years now, although I'll admit that IMAP was added more as an afterthought from what I could see.  That said it's notifications were fun "You have mail sir!"

You ask if POP3 and IMAP are the same thing - the answer is no.  They were intended as solutions for different situations.

POP3 (Post Office Protocol version 3) - Was useful when the mailbox size on the server was limited, and people were accessing their emails with one device.

It has no concept of email folders instead you have one inbox only.  Yes you can create folders in Incredimail - BUT they are only visible on that particular machine in that particular program.  Sent mails also are only stored on the device that they were sent from.

Normally mails are downloaded from the server and then deleted to make room for more incoming mails.

While there are workarounds that let you access the same mail using multiple devices - there is no syncing of email between devices.

IMAP4 (Internet Message Access Protocol v 4) Is more useful where multiple devices access the same mailbox.  In this the mailbox structure is echoed between server and IMAP devices and each device receives a copy of the mail that exists on the server.  Deleting a mail on one device removes the mail from the server  AND all other IMAP devices when they next connect.  Thus device contents are kept in sync.

In addition the protocol allows copies of messages that have been sent to be uploaded to the IMAP server and again propogated to all devices without the user having to do a thing.  Thus unlike POP3 all devices are kept in sync.

One of the major downsides of IMAP though is that if mails are deleted from one device they will be removed from every other device.  So it's important to make sure that you don't delete a mail that you might want in the future.  (and don't use the Trash folder as an archive either)

Tim

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

BTW

Be aware that depending on the settings of your previous POP3 clients, even though the mail is visible on the server it might not be downloaded to Thunderbird over POP3.  This is because if any POP3 clients "deleted" the mail on the server - the settings on the server instead didn't actually delete the mail but added a flag POPDeleted to the mail.  This flag causes all future POP3 transactions to ignore any mail so marked.

In other words as far as the POP3 client is concerned such mails don't exist.

Tim

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. 
I have now changed it to imap.

imap was not around on IM when  i 1st downloaded & paid for addons

since learnt that although some if the fun things in incredimail, like you got mail sir & icons/photos for contacts -which i miss as icons are easier to see/read than an email address, plus all emails were clumped  together rather than seperate accounts.

but i have managed to find coloured folders, which is even more than virgin webmail do.

but after over 20 yrs of using just the 1 client  Its going to take time to get used to another.

never understood why Perion never bothered to update it 😡

0 Kudos