cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supermarket email blocked by Virgin

coastalrc
On our wavelength

HI,

How do I contact VM regarding checking whether they are blocking emails from a particular sender?

I have been receiving emails confirming my on online orders from Morrisons, they started being labelled as Spam by VM, I tried to mark them as not spam with great difficulty, since the 8th March no emails are coming through from Morrisons on the standard info and notification emails. I have contacted Morrisons and they say they are being sent.

I have the email address saved in my address book, they are added to my safe senders, and filter rules set up to move any emails from that address into the Inbox.

In Outlook I also have the address set as do not block sender, in my address book etc.

I can only assume due to the number of emails as I constantly adjust my orders that VM are blocking everything.

12 REPLIES 12

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coastalrc wrote: I can only assume due to the number of emails as I constantly adjust my orders that VM are blocking everything.

As far as I can see, this is the first time there has been an issue reported with email from Morrisons.

In answer to your statement above, no, Virgin Media do not block specific email senders and they certainly don't block senders because they are sending you too many messages.

However, they do check  all incoming emails to make sure that the mail is not coming from a known source of spam but they use international databases (also known as "blacklists) compiled by the internet security industry, they do not create their own blacklist.

The other thing they do is to use validation which checks that the sender's email address has not been spoofed (faked). In other words that email is actually from the person or organisation that appears in the "From " field in your Inbox, See here for an overview of that https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-Media-SPF-Authentication/td-p/2921597 

I know it sounds simplistic, and I am sure that you have done this already, but the first thing to check is that the email address has not been blacklisted in your VM email account.

To do that, sign in to your VM email account from here  https://mail.virginmedia.com   and then click on he icons 1, 2, 3 and 4 as the come up.

blacklist and rules.png

Check that Morrisons' address does not appear there.

VM filter rules only work on emails that come into the Inbox so your filter to move any incoming Morrison's emails into the Inbox is completely redundant, in fact you are better off disabling it.

I would also check any other filter rules that you have set up. VM filters have a habit of doing the unexpected so double check that Morrisons' emails are not being affected by any others you have set up. In fact it would be a good idea to disable all the rules temporarily to see if Morrisons' emails start coming through.

If all that does not show any possible reasons for the behaviour you are seeing then the only way to troubleshoot it is for Morrisons to send you a copy of the Non Delivery Report (bounce back error) message they are receiving. That will at the very least give a big clue as to why you are not getting their emails. Unfortunately, the Customer Services agents in organisations such as Morrisons usually do not want to get involved in trouble shooting exercises. Their view is "it's your problem" although they are usually more polite than that when they fob you off. 😮

As I have explained, VM will not  have created a rule to reject all emails from Morrisons.and without an example of an affected incoming email it will very difficult, if not impossible, for VM's security team to identify the reason for the behaviour you are seeing and to resolve the issue.

By the way, if you can get  a copy of the error message Morrisons are receiving, anonymise your address by removing the part before the "@" symbol before you post it here. 😉

Finally, I will just say that I was involved in trying to resolve a similar problem on this forum where the poster was not receiving newsletters from their golf club but all other emails from the club were coming through fine. To cut a very long story short we eventually proved that the reason was that the golf club had an incorrect email address in the distribution list they used to send out newsletters. Sometimes the answer is very simple one.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coastalrc
On our wavelength
No they are not in my black list checked that before commenting on here.
I was receiving emails ok except with VM marking them as spam, but still coming into my inbox, last one on the 8th. Had a delivery on the 9th and no notification or invoice received, nothing at all. Placed another order and amended it a few times and no emails coming through at all.

Just changed the email address on the account and emails coming through OK!

I have asked Morrisons customer service to send a non delivery report so will be interesting to see if they will

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coastalrc wrote:
No they are not in my black list checked that before commenting on here..

I only suggested checking that just to make sure.

In that case, as I explained in some detail in my post, it will need an example of the error messages that Morrisons are receiving before any further trouble shooting can be done.

By the way, I have just proved that VM do not block all emails from Morrisons.

I have an online account with Morrisons although I use a non VM address and I do not use their home delivery service. When you posted your reply I was changing the email address on my account to my ntlworld address. That worked successfully and I have received Morrisons' confirmation email in my Ntlworld.account.

Is it just the delivery emails from Morrisons that go astray, do you get the marketing emails from Morrisons ok,  

Coenoby

Edited to add, your latest email crossed with mine. glad you have got a solution Let us know how things go,

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @coastalrc thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear your notification emails have not been going to your main inbox from your supermarket.  Are you satisfied you have a work around in place?

Regards

Lee

coastalrc
On our wavelength

Hi Lee_R

The only way I have found to get around it is by using a totally different e-mail address

I am really sorry @coastalrc

Was it another Virgin Media issued email address or a 3rd party email address?

Regards

Lee_R

coastalrc
On our wavelength

The original email was an ntlworld address I have used since I started with NTL, never had a problem with it and still use it as my main email address. I used with my Morrisons account with no problem till I stared getting the order confirmations marked as spam by VM. then suddenly I stopped receiving them.
I have now changed to an email address I also use with the virginmedia,com ending and the emails are coming through fine.

Morrisons say they don't have the ability to get the return non delivery report. So the only option is to use my main secondary e-mail to get the confirmations and receipts.

I am genuinely sorry.  Are you happy to move forward as things are now?  Or are you wishing for us to have a look into this?  

Regards

Lee