forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
andy_clare
Joining in
Message 1 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Suddenly - can receive but not send e-mails (ntlworld.com address)

Hi, established ntlworld.com e-mail address started having problems (Windows 7 / windows live mail). I can receive but can't send e-mails - asks for username/password all the time. Can anyone help please.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suddenly - can receive but not send e-mails (ntlworld.com address)

Hi there @andy_clare

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I was sorry to understand that  you're having some issues with your emails currently. 

Does this only happen when using that email client/app or are you having the same issue when accessing via webmail? Have you managed to log into your webmail and change your password to see if that helps at all? 

I have located your account from here and there are no issues showing for your email services; all looks ok and active. 

Pop back with an update and the extra information and we'll help further if needed. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
andy_clare
Joining in
Message 3 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Took a few days but it seems to have sorted itself out today. I changed to 'log on using clear text authentication' to another and back again and it started to work.Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear that it's all working @andy_clare - and thanks so much for popping back with your update of how it was resolved. Not only does this help us, but also other customers who may be having a similar issue. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ns77
Tuning in
Message 5 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Suddenly - can receive but not send e-mails

Not sure if anyone has fixed this issue but i have uninstalled email app, tried a new email app, still wont connect to outgoing server,works great  on PC (wifi) from outlook and website email ,running out of ideas

0 Kudos
jeallen01
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Looks like a similar issue to that I am having with sending emails from my VM email a/c - see here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Having-problems-logging-into-one-of-my-VM-email-addresses...

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suddenly - can receive but not send e-mails

Hi ns77,

I'm sorry to hear you've also been having some issues with sending emails. Can you please confirm what client you are having issues sending emails from?

What's the exact error message you receive when the email fails to send?

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
jeallen01
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@Beth_G

Please see my posts a couple of ones earlier than the one to which you replied in order to get an idea of the type of "responses" I myself have been getting in the very (and linked in my post!!!!) similar issue that I am currently experiencing with my own "XYZ@virginmedia.com" a/c (via Outlook 2016 & 2019 on different m/cs, and ALSO on my Android phone!) - i.e. I am continually prompted for my P/W because, somehow, the VM outgoing email server (smtp.virginmedia.com) won't accept it.

As I also said in my own thread, a similar thing happened a few weeks ago, and thus I STRONGLY suspect that the outgoing mail server username & P/W database is not up-to-date, or has been corrupted, in the last day or so. Thus, as I also said in my own thread "Here we go around the mullbery bush, AGAIN"! :(.

In the current situation, I have had to remove that email a/c from Outlook on both m/cs to avoid being continually prompted for my P/W (it's correct because I can get into that a/c via webmail and then see all the latest emails - both incoming and outgoing, of which for the latter, of course, there have been none since around midday on Tuesday because the "system" won't let me send any 😡!

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Hi jeallen01

My apologies for the email issues.

Have you tried removing and re-adding the email from the email client to see if this fixes?

Please also make you're own thread then it's easier to keep track of the replies 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
jeallen01
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@John_GS

You have obviously NOT taken a good look at the earlier posts in this thread because I posted a link to my own thread WHICH I STARTED YESTERDAY - AND SO IT WOULD APPEAR THAT YOU AND YOUR COLLEAGUES ARE NOT LOOKING "COLLECTIVELY" AT THE PROBLEMS, which appear to be happening "across the board" because multiple people are reporting similar issues with @VM and @ntl (and possibly other VM) email addresses, 

AND YES, I have deleted, and then tried to reinstall, my VM a/c  MULTIPLE times times from the email clients on 2 different W10 PC's (and my Android 6 phone using the MailWise client - although, oddly, that's not reporting any issues and is still receiving mail to my @VM a/c) but the reinstallation consistently fails when it tries to access the smtp.virginmedia.com outgoing mail server.

From past experience of my similar problems, I STRONGLY suggest that you contact Gareth_L who dealt with the VERY similar issue that I had with my VM a/c several months ago - he had to SUBSTANTIALLY escalate the problem within the VM support teams in order to get it resolved, which then took a couple of days, and so I suspect that the same will be necessary this time as I doubt that you guys "on the front line" will be able to fix it.

0 Kudos