Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Suddendly can't send email from previously working account

Two email accounts of the form xxx@virginmedia.com have been working fine.

Today with no change of settings one is sending mail fine but the other gives the message

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.1.0 From address is invalid (VM402). Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.

The set up of servers etc is identical on each account.

Mail programme is mozilla based SeaMonkey which I have been using for years on NTL/Virginmedia

Any clues of where to kick it please or is this a known problem.

TIA

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suddendly can't send email from previously working account

That error message indicates that the authentication credentials i.e username and password for the account do not match the From address for the account concerned.  This has come up before quite recently on this forum and if i remember correctly it was solved by changing the default sending setting in SeaMonkey to the one that matches the From address.

Edited to add: It could mean that there is a back end issue on the VM servers with the address that you are trying to send from - if this is the case then the VM Forum Team will need to refer it to the IT guys to investigate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Graham,

It was me who had the problem a few weeks back when setting up this new email account, and changing the SMTP server from "default" to virginmedia.com (the only other option offered in Seamonkey) seemed to fix the issue.

Now it has stopped working and I've made no changes.

Somehow I think I need to attract a passing VM forum team member for some investigative work

"Hello out there".....

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

HI Guys, I really do need some Main team IT support on this one.

The problem still exists making my email account unusable

Thanks

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

This is a widespread problem that VM are working on, and your symptoms sound similar.  It is affecting all email domains on many popular email clients, but not all customers are affected.  It seemed to start around the 7th for some customers.  If VM announce it is fixed and you still have problems, we can try to diagnose your individual case.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP-IMAP-Email-Access/td-p/4004089

The work around is to use webmail - can you please advise if that is NOT working for you?

https://mail2.virginmedia.com

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the link and info.
I can confirm that webmail is working although not a very convenient workaround.
Regards
Bob
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

This has been a problem for several weeks now.

I'm still getting "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.1.0 From address is invalid (VM402). Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again."

I have also tried changing password as suggested by Kev elsewhwere and it has no effect.

HelllP!

Bob

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@9fingers 

Thing is the 402 error is different to what's going on - this problem is more related to the VM304 error that some people were getting when authenticating.

I'll explain.

When you send a mail there are 3 addresses that can be seen from the sender.

• Authentication address - this is the address used along with a password to verify that you're allowed to send.
  • mail from: address. -  The address the mail client says has sent the mail.
  • From: address - The author of the email as identified in the email From: header itself.

Think of mail from: as the return address on the back of an envelope and From: as the business address on the letter that's inside the envelope.  Usually they're the same or similar - but they can be different.

The two addresses that matter here are the authentication and mail from: addresses.

VM 402 happens when

Authentication address is address-one@virginmedia.com
Mail from: address is        address-two@virginmedia.com

And the SMTP servers think that address-two@virginmedia.com doesn't exist

So the first thing you need to do is to make sure that each account in seamonkey is using it's own email address as the username.

Tim

Edit - I've just had a play with Seamonkey - and all I can say is:

When you set up accounts you can't specify SSL/TLS until AFTER you've done the initial setting up.  It may be based off Thunderbird, but it's vastly inferior to it.  While I can see the attraction of having a combined web browser and email client - I don't think you're doing yourself any favours here.

If you want to go with Mozilla - use Thunderbird - Not least as it automatically pulls in the right account settings for you.

(Note: The above is a personal opinion, I don't work for Virgin Media)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68

Tim, I very much appreciate your time on this.

Please bear in mind that the errant account used to work fine and just stopped a few weeks ago so it must have been set up correctly(?)

Looking at Seamonkey.

On each of the set up pages for each account, all the address boxes are set to the same address for each account and each account has a unique address.

Address1 @ntlworld.com -- fine

Address2 @ntlworld.com -- fine

Address3 @virginmedia.com -- fine

Address4 @virginmedia.com  used to work now does not

When you looked at Seamonkey, which of the addresses in the set up area is the from one that you think may be wrong? maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

Much again my principles, I have tried thunderbird (I'm not one to buy a new car just cos the tyres are flat lol) to access address4 @virginmedia.com

I can download all the incoming mail from the server ok but when i try to send I get "Login to server smtp.virginmedia.com failed." with options to retry and enter a new password.

Maybe this is TB's way of flagging the same problem. Clearly I have logged in OK in order to get the incoming messages.

Kind regards

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I see this is marked as solved. This is NOT the case.

I am no further forward on this with both SeaMonkey and Thunderbird failing in different ways to let me send messages..

What is the the best method to get some VM support on this problem please.

Thanks

Bob

0 Kudos