Menu
Simunch
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sudden stop of NTLworld e-mail accounts. HELP!

Hi All,

Been a long term ntlworld/virgin media customer without a break for over 2 decades.  The internet  provided has generally been quite good compared with other UK providers.

That is except when we recommended Virgin broadband verbally to our next door neighbours (so no recommendation bonus even) which resulted in the installation contractors killing our own connection by cutting our cable with circular saw (i watched them do it and then told them politely what they had done) as they installed the neighbours one.  Getting it reconnected quickly was incredibly hard work. Firstly, we had to tell Virgin what had happened and get them to actually believe us that sending out a new router would not solve the problem of a severed optical cable.

Anyway onto our current problem.

We have three active e-mail accounts on the ntlworld.com domain.

The owner of the primary account very sadly passed away over a year ago. We dont currently know the password, but live in hope that we can find it as many distant friends and colleagues still try to contact us using it. The person used to write down their many passwords (bad, we know) 

The Virgin internet bill was paid using a join account so no interruptions.

Around mid October 2019 I (one of the secondary e-mail account holders) was phoned with an offer of a Virgin mobile contract at a good price which i accepted and verbally agreed that just the mobile phone charge would be put on my personal bank account.  That didn't happen and I am now billed on my personal account for all the mobile contract and broadband/TV and landline charges.  Might annoy me, but I can live with it.  But mine remains a secondary account (i know because it tells me when i log in).

Yesterday we suddenly lost complete access to the two active secondary ntlworld.com e-mail accounts which have been in daily use for many years.  Our fear is that these may have been deleted.

We can still log in to virgin on the secondary accounts via a web browser (latest chrome on win 10) but if we try to access our email accounts then we cannot get in.

Initially it said "this service is not available.  try again"  we tried, it didn't work.

Now we are shown this dialogue.

Nothing valid we enter seems to be accepted.

With the impact of covid-19 we could really do with working e-mail accounts right now.

It does not add anything positive to our state of mind to suddenly lose these without any warning.

Obviously we understand Virgin Media might be running a reduced number of service staff at the moment (we both worked in IT so we know precisely what it's like to deal with irrate users), but it would be very nice to at least communicate with somebody who could explain where we are.  Have the e-mail accounts gone completely or is there anyway to get them working again?

Yours in desperation, fear and misery.

But still living in hope.

0 Kudos
Simunch
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sudden stop of NTLworld e-mail accounts. HELP!

one of the e-mail accounts is now accessible. the other remains inaccessible several hours later. wondering if the dialogue above may indicate the e-mail account is blocked although we can still log into virgin services with the account, just not the e-mail account
0 Kudos
Simunch
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spoke to Virgin tech support who have now solved the issue.

0 Kudos
Clarepam2
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How do you get hold of virgin tech support. I have also lost 20 years of email account via NTLWORLD, am still a VM customer and after 8 calls with support - noone can help me! They just tell me a different thing each time I call to get me off the phone!
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Clarepam2  You are in touch with the Forum Team in the thread you have on your issue - they are part of the tech support function and will refer your problem to the IT department if appropriate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Simunch, 

Thanks for your post on the forums, I can see you're in quite the predicament with your emails which I do apologise for and I am sorry to hear about the passing of the account holder. 

The first thing we need to establish is whether the email you were using is connected to a live account. Could this have been disconnected when the account holder passed away?

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Clarepam2
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oh I do hope so.... I'm at my wits end with it!
0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Clarepam2,

Thanks your your post here on the forums, I'm sorry to hear you, too, are having an email problem. 

Can you describe what is happening please? Any error messages or information about what happened?

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Megan_L  Please refer to this thread which Clarepam2 has running: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Re-Ntlworld-Email-address/m-p/4282763#M193795

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks